This is a video I took a couple of weeks ago. Before you watch it, turn down your volume as it shows Ben crying pretty hard. While you watch it, think back to almost 2 years ago when I showed a video of his reflux cry. That video can be found here: Ben's reflux cry at 7 weeks old You can also compare how intense Ben's crying is to Liam's crying at almost the same age, as seen in this video showing Ben screaming from reflux and Liam crying from sensory overload: Liam during a sensory meltdown in reaction to Ben's newborn screaming
So, here is Ben crying at about 22 months old:
I wish I knew what causes this. Ben wakes up from naps like this about 4 times a week. He'll cry at this intensity for up to an hour. I try different things to calm him, but nothing seems to work and then he just suddenly snaps out of it. As you can see, he throws his head back, just like he did when crying from reflux pain at 7 weeks old. So is the screaming due to pain from reflux? Can it be a night terror? It has continued even with the chiropractic care, but occurs more often now since he naps more often. I guess that is my punishment for having him nap.
After almost 43 months of having one child (or two) cry for over an hour a day every day, I am almost used to it. Sometimes when I see how Dave reacts to this type of crying (he becomes frantic and tries to fix it), I remember that this isn't really normal.
Monday, March 14, 2011
The same old song and dance
Labels:
Ben,
reflux,
sadness,
Sensory Processing Disorder,
spirited,
toddlerhood
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Wow, Michelle, I had no idea. It reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on it right now. If it was anybody else but Ben, I'd say night terrors all the way, but maybe it is a combo of that and reflux? Maybe he had a reflux that choked him and caused the night terror reaction? Poor Ben. :(
Oh Michelle, I didn't realize. I watched about a minute of the video. Is he responsive to you? It doesn't seem like he's aware that you are there. I say that because for about a year, Kate went through what I would guess are night terrors-- they always happened exactly 60 minutes after she went to bed (after a day with no nap or when she was extra tired) and she would cry hysterically and not be aware that I was there. Poor little guy.
Kelly--He does respond to me. If I ask him for his favorite things, he says "no" and if I put him down, he reaches for me and cries "mama." Usually if I sit with him, like in the video, he bounces against me and demands "walk walk."
Megan--Thanks for watching it.
I had night terrors, so it wouldn't surprise me, but he only does this in waking from a nap. I am thinking Megan might be right and it is reflux combined with something related to sleep. :-(
Michelle, wow, that's awful. I don't know how you've managed. I think it's definitely GI related. He seems to be grimacing a little too, so I think it's pain. Tom would wake up from every nap or sleep crying for over 2 years too. I always wondered why he didn't wake up cooing like other kids. Now, if he wakes up like this it's from gas (and very rarely), which in his case can be caused by yeast. Have you tried using digestive enzymes? Maybe he's having a funky reaction in his tummy because of his reflux, plus acid changes from the medicine and his food is just not digesting properly generating gas?
I'd give them a try. Houston Enzymes does a mil discount, or Enzymedica you can get from Wholefoods. Try and get a broad spectrum one. Got to be worth a try?
Sarah, it is interesting you say that because his chiro suggested digestive enzymes. Initially, he took them and I saw vast GI improvement, but now he just sucks on them a bit and spits them out (like most food). I have been taking them and they do wonders for my IBD.
We see Ben's PCM Friday and I am wondering if it isn't worthwhile to bring this video? I'll be asking again for allergy testing referral. If I get denied, I'll probably try the gluten/milk allergy testing that our mutual friend Erin did.
Michelle, I put digestive enzymes in applesauce. Open the capsule and stick them in, mix around and feed with the first mouthful of food. Ask for allergy testing definitely. I would ask for the Great Plains Tests since they cover a ton of foods for one sample. Genetic testing probably won't help, since it doesn't tell you if anything is actually acting up. If the PCM won't give your a referral, just ask them to order a milk, wheat+gluten and soy panel for you. Definitely get the soy test too. Our allergist in TX told us that 50% of kids with a dairy allergy are also sensitive to soy and that was the thing that got rid of Tom's diarrhea. Overnight.
Your PCM should be able to do order those basic tests and the base lab will be able to do them. Hope you get resolution soon.
Post a Comment