Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Strep, where?

Poor Liam has anal strep.  Yup, strep in his butt.  In case you ever see blood when you wipe your kid's bottom that cannot be tied to anal fissures or hard poop, I'd recommend asking for a strep swab.

This is one of those things I wish I never had to learn about.

On a lighter note, I am guessing that means I need to disinfect these trains (as well as my whole house):
Other than waking at 4am today, Liam seems to be in a great mood and feeling fine.  I really hope Ben doesn't get it as he isn't nearly as good at being sick.  Considering the boys were sharing a bath up until yesterday, I am not too hopeful. :-(

5 comments:

Celeste Smith said...

YIKES! As if regular strep isn't bad enough!

Beth said...

Oh Michelle! I hope he didn't get it from when Zeke had it last month. If it makes you feel any better, Zeke had it but the other two never did and they bathed together and played together and drank from each other's cups for a good month before I even realized he had it.

Michelle said...

Beth, kids get sick; it is what they do best. ;-) Who knows if Liam got it from Zeke or somewhere else? I was just glad that I knew Zeke had it, so I knew what to ask the nurse-practitioner for (she was clueless and had never heard of it). I am also glad it was butt strep that just needs antibiotics. Before his strep test came back, I was freaking a bit because if he was negative for strep, then why was his little butt bleeding. I am VERY glad to know your littlest ones didn't get it. Been is not as cheerful as Liam when sick.

Dayna Sabrina said...

Michelle, I would watch him very carefully. Strep can be pretty dangerous for our kids - it can lead to PANDAS and that's nothing to play around with.

Michelle said...

You know I forgot about PANDAS. I'll definitely watch him closely.