Friday, March 11, 2011

The cost of therapy

It has been a long, trying week and I want to complain and whine (trust me, I really do).  This evening I got my our insurance statements which shows the cost of Liam's speech therapy, occupational therapy, and Ben's occupational therapy.

In January, Tricare paid $2024.48 in occupational and speech therapy for both boys.  Of that, I had zero co-pay.  In addition to that, Liam received ABA therapy.  We can claim up to $36,000 a year for ABA.  This means that my boys can get $60,000 of therapy.  Our co-pay for the ABA is $50 a month.  I know many people don't have this benefit  and know how incredibly lucky we are.  There is a cost for it--frequent travel, moving every 2 years, threat of deployment, and the stress of the military lifestyle of the type of child that needs routine...and the fact we have to start all over with searching for therapists and waiting lists when we move. ....

But still, after a rough week, I feel like I need to acknowledge exactly how lucky I am. 

2 comments:

Dayna Sabrina said...

You are very lucky to get coverage for ABA. I know only one other person in our state (GA) who managed to do this and it's only because her husband is employed by Google and they have BlueCross BlueShield out of CA. It really shouldn't even be a question for our kids.

Kelly said...

Yes, very lucky indeed. Our insurance company (the one I switched jobs to have) actually decided they will in fact, NOT cover Kate's speech therapy and actually want money BACK that they paid to the ST. I did 2 appeals and was denied each time, so we are stuck paying for it completely out of pocket. It really sucks.