Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Here we go again, feeling like I am back in 2009


thankfully minus the deployment and newborn who screamed non-stop....

Ben started the process of his evaluation through the neurodevelopmental clinic here.  He'll have 4 different evaluations in all by 4 different specialists then on October 10th, the developmental pediatrician will review the total results with us.

Today was Ben's OT evaluation as part of this process.  I *know* Ben has Sensory Processing Disorder.  I wrote about it in this post.  That was in December 2010 when Early Intervention started services with Ben for Sensory Processing Disorder.  I wrote about it again in May when Early Intervention upgraded the status of Ben's services and encouraged me to take him to a Licensed Master's in Social Work (LMSW) for Floortime to address his extreme tantrums as they were beyond the expertise of Early Intervention.  The LMSW confirmed Ben is a sensory seeker and we have been working on tactics.

Therefore, today should have been no surprise, but it was for some reason.  I think because I view Ben has higher functioning than Liam, so I never expect Ben to qualify for services.  Then when Ben does qualify, I am reminded of where Liam started with his delays.  In addition, the amount of therapy sessions is exhausting for me, and I have been pushing through, just wanting to get Liam intensive therapy until he starts elementary school, and now I feel I am back at the starting point with Ben and am looking at 19 months PAST Liam starting school of intensive therapy with Ben.

It is a bit much.

So, the OT said Ben has Sensory Processing Disorder, specifically sensopry modulation disorder which is the most common type.  As part of this, he has some mild fine motor delays.  Tl treat this, she recommends to continue Early Intervention.  Ben has moderate trouble with sensory integration and emotional modulation.  She said the best way to address this is private OT, like Liam attends.  So we'll be adding another weekly appointment, though I know there is quite a wait list.  The logisitics of scheduling it will be quite challenging to say the least.  Finally, she was QUITE concerned about Ben's extreme toe walking and immediately recommended a PT evaluation.  So, in the course of a week, I find out BOTH boys need PT evaluations.

Tomorrow Ben sees another specialist for testing.  I imagine developmental testing.  In two weeks, he has his speech evaluation.  Finally on October 10th, he sees the developmental pediatrician and later that day, he'll meet with me and Dave to review his findings.

I have earned my wine tonight I think.  It is only Tuesday and Liam has done 5 hours of school, 5 hours of ABA, 45 minutes of speech, 45 minutes of ABA, a 30 minute session with the school OT, and an hour of Tumbling.  Ben has had an hourt of Floortime and an hour OT evaluation.  I have driven 6 hours over the course of 2 days, done 3 loads of laundry, and cooked a roast chicken.  There has been no naps and a wake up at night.  There has been too much stress and not enough fun.

No comments: