Thursday, September 1, 2011

Preschool Open House

Liam is in his 2nd week of school at his special education preschool, but next week he will be starting a second preschool.  The reason I decided to send him to a second preschool is that his special education preschool has a very small class size which doesn't allow him to practice social skills as much as I would like.  In fact, this year he is one of 3 kids in his class.  The reason I decided to keep him at his special education preschool was that he recieves group speech therapy and gets one-on-one attention and support that will not be replicated at a regular preschool. 

The preschool I chose is one at a local church.  The teacher has a background teaching Montesorri so it has a Montesorri style.  The room is huge and I literally could not get photos of everything in the room, but I did take some photos to show what the room looks like.  I was trying not to get children (other than my own) in the photos so I was unable to get photos of the water table, the art easel, the craft table, or the floor to ceiling wall filled with bins of supplies.


On the bottom right shelf, there are some sorting and categorizing projects and Liam sat quietly and did them while I met with his teacher.



This shows a 3rd bookcase with manipulatives plus a semi-enclosed reading area and a small curved table with the teacher's aide works on writing and reading skills with a group of no more than 3 students.


I am standing in about the middle of the room so this shows how big the classroom is.  In addition, snack and circle time is done in a different room altogether.


The pretend play area, which might transform into a doctor's office or car repair shop during certain lessons.




Liam loved the room and kept asking me when Tuesday was going to come.  He wanted me to leave so he could stay there and I narrowly missed him going into full out meltdown when he had to go home.  He will be starting the year with his ABA tutor attending with him, but I have no doubt he is going to do great.  The school is parent cooperative so I get to volunteer in the class and see how he does.  I think this will be a great year.

1 comment:

JWild said...

Wow, this place looks like a great fit for Liam. How reassuring that must be!!! And how cool is it that Liam is anxious to start???