Wednesday, December 8, 2010

MORE Adventures in Early Intervention (or objective proof that I am not crazy)




Today Ben had his Early Intervention assessment, and qualifies for occupational therapy.  I won't get the full results until I read the report and meet with Ben's OT to outline his IFSP (Individual and Family Service Plan).  I am glad I am not crazy and wasn't imaging things or expeting too much of Ben, but it is a bit depressing to realize that both of my children need help in order to not fall behind developmentally.

The main area of concern they saw with Ben is attention and compliance.  As you can imagine, an agency which works exlusively with under 3 year old is used to short attention and 2 year old defiance.....but Ben could not even attend to tasks long enough for the item to be scored or was demanding "all done" as soon as things were presented.  Their concern is that this short attention span will not permit him to develop normally as the demands on him become more complex.  Ben's tip toe walking is also pretty much 90% of the time, and he appears to have tactile, vestibular, and auditory diffiulties in sensory processing (the same areas Liam has problems, but Ben is tactile defensive while Liam is tactile seeking).  Pending the results of Ben's scope, they'll also work on feeding issues.  Ben has strengths, particularly language skills (he tested below age level for receptive language, but it was all due to attention and not actual skills) and soial interaction with adults, so I imagine that like Liam, therapy will make a huge difference.

Apparently, Dave and I "make" incredibly sweet, very sensitive boys who struggle with making sense of their environment.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Look at those doll faces! Don't you just want to smooch them all day long. I'd say there is definitely a genetic component to alot of this stuff. So many families who have more than 1 child with difficulties in one area or another. Interesting that both of your boys are struggling in very similar areas. I know Ben will do just as great as Liam has done with you as his Mama!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad your being heard and you've proof though I'm not sure who would think your crazy. I love those pics with the flowers. So sweet! Miss you!