Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Play is therapy

Liam has had two occupational therapy appointments so far. The first one left us with a trampoline and a doorway swing. Dave still has to install the swing but Liam has been using the trampoline. The trampoline stimulated Liam's vestibular system which helps him organize auditory information. Here is Liam trying it out the first day:

This week's appointment brought education in "brushing therapy." For the next 3 weeks, every 2 hours or 6 times a day, I am to do the 3 minute brushing therapy. Here is a link to more information: http://ezinearticles.com/?Tactile-Defensiveness-The-Facts-About-the-Wilbarger-Brushing-Protocol&id=1776984 The idea is that it will help Liam with transitions and with going into overstimulating environments. Liam's occupational therapist gave me a checklist to track the results we see. Interestingly, Liam did a 2 minute time-out yesterday for hitting Ben. When Dave opened his bedroom door, he was holdding his brush.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in awe of your strength Michelle! It makes so much more sense now to understand how stressed you've been, your days are full of more than the typical 2 under 2! Your boys are lucky to have you as mama! Your doing a great job caring for them ((hugs))

natalie said...

I'm glad that the therapies sound like things he'll enjoy! Hope they're all that fun, and really help.

three feet high said...

I'm so glad you finally got the OT referral and are getting started. It sounds like it's helping already!