Copied from a support group for Sensory Processing Disorder:
I want to explain to you why my child is
having such a rough time today…
What you are seeing when you look at my
child is not a child who is "out of control"
but rather a child who is "out of sync." My
child has Sensory Processing Disorder
(SPD), which is the inability of the brain to
properly and/or efficiently process and
organize sensory information. When my
child's brain receives information through
any of his senses - sight, smell, hearing,
taste, touch, vestibular or proprioception -
- he doesn't always know what to do with
that information and can become very
disorganized, overwhelmed, frightened and
confused. You can read more about SPD at
http://www.spdnetwork.org/.
My child has good days and bad days. You
must have run into us on a bad day. I
apologize if we have made you
uncomfortable or if we have been
disruptive. My child is currently involved
in many types of interventions, working on
these sensory issues, so that he can feel
normal like you and so that when we go
places, he feels safe and comfortable in
his own body. It is going to be a long and
difficult journey, but in the meantime,
please know that inside him is a beautiful
and magnificent little person waiting,
hoping and trying to emerge!
Think about how difficult my child's SPD
was for you today, then try to imagine how hard it must be for him.
The next time
you see us out somewhere, please
understand...
you see us out somewhere, please
understand...
I get tears in my eyes from this. Liam is an amazing, sweet little boy. I hope others can see that.
5 comments:
My nephew has SPD. His is an awesome kid with an awesome personality at almost 6. You will get through it. And some days are awful and some days my sister has bad days still, but after starting treatment they are fewer and farther in between, at least the whole day of bad things is better.
I see it, and those people who matter most to you will see it. Liam is an awesome child.
And poo on the people who don't see it. Their loss.
Love,
Goodmomma76
A great post..way to go mama for helping your Liam. I look forward to hearing about him adapting to his surroundings better, though God made him beautiful just the way he is!
Michelle,
I meant to comment on this post earlier but just didn't have the words after reading such a beautiful, heartbreaking plea.
It's difficult for me to understand why anyone would think that Liam is anything less than an amazingly loving little boy. The things you've written about him for as long as I've "known" you, and the pictures I'm always so happy to see, have shown me a child that needs comfort and understanding when he's feeling overwhelmed - not judgment.
I hope with all my heart that you don't encounter any negativity because of the way he reacts to certain stimuli - there's absolutely nothing wrong with Liam, and I know that you're doing everything in your power to help make life easier for him.
Hang in there, to the both of you!
Well... I know Liam, and I know what a terrific little boy he is. Can't wait until he's able to completely show his sweet, smart nature to the whole world. Praying for you all.
Wow...that was really well said. I've never actually met Liam but all the discussions we've had over the past almost three years now...I feel like I know him. He is an incredible little guy. So sweet and so loving. You can see it in his face in every picture you post. He has a great heart and I wish you guys all the best in working through his sensory issues.
Post a Comment