We went to a birthday party Sunday and Ben kept saying "Happy Day!" Then on Monday Dave came home with cupcakes. As Ben was eating it, he started rocking side to side and singing the birthday song.....kind of.....he is hard to hear over Liam but oh so cute!
Last week I took advantage of a karate class where Ben wasn't melting down to show Liam in action. Liam is the little one all the way at the right of the screen as he was at the end of the line (he was line leader that day).
Afterwards, Miss Becky who teaches the class asked what Liam thought about being line leader. They take turns and usually the line leader is really excited and makes a big deal about it, but Liam was just kind of flat while line leader. I wasn't sure what to tell her as when I asked Liam, he just said he was line leader but didn't connect any emotions with it.
Last night at dinner, there was the following exchange.
Dave: "Liam what did you do today?"
Liam: "I went to school."
Dave: "What about in the morning, did anyone come to the house?"
Liam: "No."
Dave: "No one came to the house to play with you?
Michelle: "There were two people."
Dave: "Liam, who came to the house to play with you today?"
Liam: "No one."
Dave: "Did Miss Reagan and Miss Becky come to play with you this morning?"
Liam: "Yes, they came and we played games and it was so much fun!"
Dave: "That is great you had fun with them. What did you do at school today."
Liam: "I threw balls with Ben, but no Ben wasn't there.....and I *gibberish* and then *drops voice and talks nonsense* and THAT is what I did."
Dave: "Wow, is there anything else you did today?"
Liam: "I played Zingo but I forgot."
Dave: "You forgot you played Zingo?"
Liam: "yes"
That exchange is why it is so hard for us to figure out what Liam does during the day or how he feels about things. I am happy that he tests above age level when his speech is tested but on a pragmatic day to day basis, he is not communicating like you would expect.
Of course after that, Liam told me a story about when he was born and he met the first Liam that ever existed (there was another Liam at the party on Sunday) and then he turned 100 and then he was a baby again and was born again. There were some other details, like he was driving a car when he was 10 and me, Dave, and Ben were babies and rode in the car with him. Silly boy......
No comments:
Post a Comment