Thursday, December 1, 2011

Overheard in these parts


Some things we have heard lately.

"Liam is the social leader in the classroom." from Liam's special education teacher....about Liam who refused to play with other children.  WOW.  I don't have words.

"I wish I had video of Liam last year to show how far he has come." from Liam's BCBA, his ABA therapist.

Liam's teacher assistant at his Montessori preschool also told me again that Liam is brilliant and told me to have him tell me what he did with her yesterday, but with Liam's pragmatic language delay, he cannot tell me anything more than that he did alot of words and some were hard.  I don't know if he read them or spelled them or wrote them.  I am guessing he was reading them, but Liam cannot seem to tell me exactly what he did that was so impressive.

Things heard from Liam:

On the night of November 30th as Dave tucked him into bed, "Goodnight Daddy; I'll see you in December."

This morning on learning that Christmas is on December 25th, "That means there are only 24 days until Christmas!"  However, when asked directly to subtract are how many days until a date, he claims not to know the answer.

When seeing a photo of the Elf on the Shelf in a Target circular, he asked "Is Christopher Pop-in-kins going to become a toy after Christmas?" At the moment, he thinks our elf, Christopher, moves by magic, but he seems confused about elves being pictured for sale and has an idea they might not be real. He is 4 years old!

Ben has started private speech and OT and is doing great and is even able to do his therapy without me present.  His tantrums are increasing in intensity however, and I am remembering how difficult they are to manage, especially as Liam gets upset  and says Ben is too loud and covers his ears and then begs me to make Ben stop.

1 comment:

Kelly2 said...

Wow. Go Liam. Sometimes it's hard for us as Mamas to look big picture. It's easy to get stuck in the day to day and not see the huge advances.

I'm sorry about Ben's tantrums. I hope that soon he'll be able to modulate himself down. Poor guy. I can imagine it's very tough on him as well. ((hugs))