The good news in this house is that Liam will be having a formal OT evaluation at school and will have OT goals added to his IEP. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but it really is. Schools are notoriously reluctant to provide OT, and Liam hasn't qualified for OT at school since aging out of Early Intervention at age 3.
I have been
I got the full report from the developmental pediatrician. Ben was tested at 30 months. His receptive language and social skills are the level of a 16 month old. That is a 50% delay in two areas. His fine motor skills are that of a 20 month old (33% delayed) and his expressive language is about that same level. What blew me away is that he shows 4 symptoms of autism. 6 symptoms in 3 categories are needed for a diagnosis of autism, but Liam was diagnosed with PDD-NOS with 4 symptoms.....and now Ben has 4 symptoms. There is more to the report, but I cannot stop fixating on the severity of his delays and the number of symptoms of autism.
There is stuff related to moving. The military ships one car. How will the other move 5000 miles? Our tenants will be staying until summer 2014, so we need a house to rent. Therapy to set up for the boys, two IEPs to transfer over, wait lists, and figuring out school.
We are hosting Thanksgiving next week, and will have people Dave works with at our house. I haven't even started to prepare.
Ben has a cold and has thick yellow snot pouring from his nose. I am at the start of a cold.
I cannot stop myself from feeling anxious and paniced no matter which issue I try to focus on first, and I am having a hard time priortizing.
5 comments:
Oh Michelle -- I wish I could do something to help. That's just too much for one mama to handle!
You are a strong admirable woman and I know you will pull through. I don't know if this is an option for you but when we moved we just sucked it up and shipped the other car on our own dime. For us it was cheaper and less of a hassle than trying to sell and buy a new one when we got here. Also, the cost is little when you compare it to trying to drive it down with two kids! Just a thought. And if you know about it far enough in advance you can either 1. save 2. weigh other options or 3. burn it with fire! Hang in there, friend. *hugs* And if you need anything down in the world of non-AK let me know!
I worried so much about the kindergarten decision as well, so I know how it feels. Regardless, you will be fine. If you move forward with kindergarten, it will be no big deal to repeat that grade if he needs to. So many children do. With a change of school, Liam won't even notice. This could help him get better services.
If you hold him back, he will only be more socially prepared for the world of elementary school. The advice I was given most was that I might regret pushing her ahead, but I would never regret holding her back. And I never have.
I can help you with finding a house if you need it. And I can do whatever leg work you need in advance with their schools. Just let me know.
Sell the car!
Order a turkey from Honey Baked Ham (or similar) and some sides - Some day you may have the time/energy to cook a gorgeous Better Homes & Gardens Thanksgiving... but girlfriend, this is NOT your year!
Here's my 2 cents-
Cater Thanksgiving!
Re: Kindergarten. Kate has a mid-June bday and the cut-off in our state is Oct. 1st. So she is young-ish but not that young. I was told this year by her teacher and the ST that we should have held her back. The ST has a son born on Sept. 3rd and the minute he was born she said she knew she was holding him back. I think you said the cut off where you are is Sept. 1st and he is late August right? If I were in that situation, I would hold him. It's very close to the cut off, you know he struggles with some of the social aspects of school-- and though K is academic these days, it's been my experience that there is a huge social element as well. My greatest fear is that Kate will be held back this year and how that will impact her socially. I think it would be devastating. I just know you will come to the right decision. (hugs)
Post a Comment