Thursday, May 19, 2011

You know you live in Alaska....when you have a moose in your yard

When we found out we were moving to Alaska, everyone said "Wait until you see the moose!"  I lived here weeks before seeing any moose.  Friends would post photos of moose that visited their yard daily and I'd be so jealous.  I want a moose in my yard too!

I had given up on this and started focusing on NOT hitting moose grazing on the side of the highway.

This afternoon, I was making Liam's bed on the 2nd floor when I looked up and saw a giant eye.  I froze and my heart started pounding.  My brain started working trying to make sense of it, then "aha, a moose!"  I ran downstairs cursing that I don't carry my camera with me for all household chores.  The boys saw I was excited and ran up with me.  I figured the three of us were safe on our 2nd story deck, so we ran out into the rain drizzle and I snapped some photos.

The best face shot:



Where he moved to by the time we got outside....I was looking for where he had been and it was Liam who yelled "a moose!"

Liam learned moose awareness so he was yelling "Hey, moose" and Ben was copying "Hi Moo, Hi Moo!"


He was so cute with his big ears and long legs

He was taller than my neighbor's SUV:

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow. I've never been to Alaska but didn't think that's what Moose looked like. Was this a skinny moose compared to other moose? I imagined them to be big, brawny types of animals.

Michelle said...

Isn't the moose adorable? I think females tend to be a bit brawnier, but most moose seem leggy. He has stubs for antlers but antlers fall off in the winter so I don't know if he is a baby/juvenile or if he just lost his set over the winter. Most of the moose I see are from a further distance than this guy. Is it bad I want him to come back? He was sooooooo cute!

We are a distance from the river so bears are not as common in our neighborhood but they wander through sometimes too.