Monday, May 16, 2011

What is crashing behavior?

I usethis term alot and I am aware that other might not know what it means.  I am tempted to post this video to Facebook, but honestly scared of judgement.  I am not allowing my boys to run wild here, and honestly watching them do this for up to THREE hours a day makes me crazy. 

This is a game the two of them created.  I stucture play time to include things that provide deep pressure (things like Tumbling class, lots of jumping etc) so they won't feel the need to crash, but no matter how many opportunities they have for deep pressure, it never seems to be enough.



If they are not engaged in this game, Liam tends to engage in his preferred crashing, which is running as hard as he can into wooden items like doors or walls. He also like pushing himself along the floor on his head or chest and then using his head to knock Ben over.
Ben's preferred crashing looks different. He likes jumping in the air, putting his legs out and landing on his butt in a butt flop or falling backwards on a bed without breaking a straight position.

The video ended when Liam engaged in kicking behavior for the 3rd time and earned a time out.

4 comments:

fairymom aka Victorymama aka Rachel said...

O does this (but over our full sized couch)! And now C loves to get into it too, but only after O starts. We've always just thought he was testing us.

Michelle said...

Rachel, Liam is tall enough to run at our couch and flip upside down onto the cushions, but Ben cannnot do it (though he can on our love seat) so they usually do this game instead. Liam does still crash onto our full size couch at least 20 times a day.

I can see how it looks like testing behavior as I imagine it is "normal" in smaller amounts for most boys. As Liam becomes verbal, he'll actually tell me he cannot stop or if he is crashing into Ben, I'll ask if he wants to play sandwich or get big hugs and he says "yes" and it stops the negative behavior. Like I said, I am afraid to post this on FB as I fear some people will think I am allowing this behavior rather than just trying to contain it....just like those, who think if I refused to let my boys eat anything but what I served they'd eventually eat....not so much....

Celeste Smith said...

I'm impressed by little Ben's phsical ability...he seems very coordinated. Maybe I am comparing him to R but both of my girls wouldnt be able to do that with such ease at his age. UHHH anyone that has told you to just force them to eat what you eat and they will eat can spend one night at my house for dinner. Who needs that kind of power struggle? Especially with all you have going on!

Beth said...

Anyone who would judge you for this video doesn't have boys. Z & D play this game all. day. long. On our big couch. They've actually broken part of the couch now, but the cat doesn't mind since it made a ledge that fully supports all of his girth. :) It's just good fun!