Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Ben's endoscopy

Our trip to Seattle was easier this time as I didn't have a stomach bug.  Ben did not like his pack and play and would not sleep in it.  I tried several times, and he screamed everytime I put him in it.  Finally, I laid on the bed in exhaustion, and he snuggled into me and started breathing sleepily, so he stayed in bed with me.  He woke at 12:30am, crying, and we re-started the whole process.  At 1:30am, he was asleep again and I was trying to fall asleep.   Our alarm went off at 5:15am and he woke up with me.  By  the time, we got to Children's Hospital, he was an over-tired, hungry mess and it was only 6:30am.

Ben was jumping and trying to leap off the hospital bed, even with the rail while they took his vitals.  The anestheologist offered the option of a "pre-sedative" and I agreed it was probably in everybody's best interest.  Ben relaxed quickly.  The anestheologist allowed me back while they put Ben to sleep with gas.  It took 3 of us (me and 2 nurses) to hold Ben still enough for the anestheologist to put the mak on Ben's face.  I cannot imagine he could have done it without the pre-sedative.  I guess they normally do just gas, but Ben needed a breathing tube and IV due to his severe reflux.  Once the gas put Ben out, I was escorted from the room, so they could run the tubes.

Ben's GI came out as soon as the surgery was done.  Ben's esophagus, stomach, and lower ntestine all look healthy.  The GI took tissue samples that will be biopsied and there is a possibility that the biopsies will show damage, but the GI doesn't expect it.  I will update after I have the biopsy results.  So for right now, Ben's diagnosis is severe reflux.  However, he is  still spitting up weekly and still won't swallow much food.  The GI wants to wean him off Prilosec, but we just started to see results from the increased dosage and I don't want to go back to not sleeping.  I need to see Ben's PCM and come up with a course of action.  In the meantime, Ben has his first appointment with early Intervention tomorrow.  I will talk to his OT about starting feeding  therapy to work with him on actually swallowing  food.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Thank goodness it went as well as it could (from the sounds of it). We had eating therapy come for Kate initially. They were wonderful- hope you will have the same experience.