Liam went back to school; he loves school. But the first two mornings, he cried and said he didn't want to go. The third day, he came home with a note asking if he was okay at home as he was being distracted and tearful at school; this is not typical school behavior for him. Liam is having a transition with his ABA therapy. The tutor he has been working with for 3 months is having a baby soon and going on maternity leave so he is starting with a new tutor. He has had two or three "mini-meltdowns" during every session within the last week; he normally only has 1 mini-meltdown a week during ABA.
He just re-grouped from a full on major meltdown--the type I haven't seen in about 6 months. I couldn't hear it happening and not get involved, especially as he is working with a less experienced tutor who was trying to talk him through it (talking doesn't work for full meltdowns). I guided him to his beanbag and covered him with his weighted blanket. The screaming continued for quite some time. I realized how out of practice I was, as at one point, I dealt with huge meltdowns weekly. I also confirmed the fact that childcare will be a challenge as few people are equipped to deal with something of that magnitude without training. I still remember Dave's reaction the first time he saw one after coming home from deployment. This is only the 3rd one Liam has had since Dave came home and Dave himself is clueless as how to manage one.
Then there was this:
Yesterday, Liam pushed over the boys' couch while him and Ben were on it. Ben's face smacked directly into the step off the fireplace hearth. His nose was bleeding, and his cheek got swollen and hard. I called Dave to come home to help and took Ben into the Elmendorf ER. We waited for 4 hours. In the end, Dave came to join us while Liam worked with his ABA tutor. I left before Ben was seen as it was time for Liam's ABA tutor to leave. Ben was seen for less than 10 minutes and it was decided the nose wasn't broken. I called Seattle Children's Hospital today and the nurse consulted the doctor and told me they wonn't know until they see Ben whether his nose is too swollen to go forward with the endoscopy on Monday. I am really hoping that I don't travel 3 hours by plane and have Ben fast, only for the surgery to be cancelled.

2 comments:
Oh Michelle I am so brokenhearted to know you had such a rough week. I feel just awful for you...it always seems to pour on you dear! Whenever I think of some of the petty things that some mom friends I know (and even myself) whine about...it makes me honestly angry! I wish I could somehow give you just a week long break...you deserve it more than anyone I know!
Oh Poor Ben. I hope he is better enough to have his scope today..
FWIW, when Kate was in school at age 3, long breaks, like Christmas vacation, also induced a little bit of hesitancy about going back. At 4, we don't seem to have this problem. ((hugs))
Post a Comment