Friday, January 14, 2011

Progress Report from school


Liam brought home a progress report from school this week.  We were supposed to re-write his IEP this week, but it was re-scheduled for two weeks from now (which means I need to scramble for childcare or bring the boys with me as Dave will be out of town).  The progress report he brought home shows how far he has come on his current IEP.

First goal: Liam will be able to pull his pants up and down as part of the toileting process.
Progress: In August, Liam could not do this at all.  In October, Liam could pull his pants down 100% of the time but could not pull them up at all.  Now, Liam can pull his pants back up 37% of the time.  He does better with pants with zippers compared to elastic waistbands (which goes against conventional wisdom).

Second goal: Liam will accomplish potty training.
Progress: In August, Liam never indicated he had to pee but would pee if trips were scheduled.  In October, Liam remained dry all day at school 20% of the time.  Now, Liam remains dry at school 55% of the time.

Third goal: Liam will verbally indicate when he needs to use the restroom and will independently access bathroom needs (flushing, washing hands, etc). 
Progress:  In August, Liam could not do this at all.  In October, Liam had not accomplished any of this.  Now, Liam verbally indicates the need to use the bathroom before going 33% of the time.

Fourth goal: Liam will engage in age appropriate activities with peers.
Progress: In August, Liam never engaged in pretend play with peers and had difficulty with turn taking.  In October, Liam had no problem taking turns, but never initiated play.  He only engaged in pretend play in 16% of the measured opportunities.  Now, he engages in pretend play with peers in 100% of the measured opportunities and seeks out friends to play with.  This goal has been accomplished.

Fifth goal: Liam will participate in non-preferred activities for 10 minutes duration.
Prrogress: In August, Liam was noted to have a limited attention span.  By October, he was engaging for over 10 minutes in 85% of the opportunities.  Now, the teacher feels this goal has been accomplished.

Sixth goal: Liam will communicate with peers and adults non-verbally and verbally.
Progress:  In August, Liam seldonmly returned greetings.  In October, he responded to greetings 50% of the time and initiated verbal exchangely occasionally.  Now, he verbally interacts continually. :-)  This goal has been accomplished,

I believe the road ahead will be less focus on language and more focus on social interaction, as well as continued focus on potty training and adaptive skills.

In other news, I toured a preschool yesterday.  They are already full for next year (!!!!!!!!) but I will be placing Liam on the waiting list.  My hope is for him to attend the "regular" preschool in the morning and continue special education in the afternoon.  There is a chance that the school I saw would have space for him in the 3 year old class next year (if he were 12 days younger, they would automatically place him in the 3 year old class, but with an August 20th birthday he would technically qualify for the 4 year old).  Given his delays, I wouldn't have any problem with him going into the younger class, but I'd prefer him to be in the 4 year old class.  The school requires once a month parent involvement which means they provide daycare for Ben and I get to assist Liam's class.  I think this school would be a great fit for us, so please cross your fingers they can find space for my special boy.  Of course, it means I have until August to get him fully potty trained, so cross fingers for that as well.

3 comments:

MWalker said...

Way to go Liam! I can't imagine the pride you have for him, because I'm getting ready to burst with it and I'm not even his mama.
That preschool sounds fantastic. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Kelly said...

Such a great report! You must be feeling really positive. Kate goes to a regular ed. class in the AM 3 days per week and does her inclusion class in the PM 5 days per week. It works. With a borderline birthday you may prefer the younger class as I really do not care for alot of the 4 year olds in her regular ed class. Girls are 4 going on 14 and the boys play VERY rough..

Celeste Smith said...

Awesome report! I am praying that a spot opens up for him at the preschool!