Friday, December 11, 2009

Flasback Friday--Family Resemblances

Anyone who has ever met Dave and Liam always remark on HOW much Liam looks like Dave. We have a baby picture of Dave in our living room and people constantly ask how old Liam is in the picture.
It isn't the above picture, as that picture in the living room is wallet sized and wouldn't scan well. However, I think this picture, circa 1979 proves the point well enough.

I have always said that Ben looks like Liam. I picked up his 6 month portraits today and even though he looked an awful lot like Liam at 6 months.

I happened to have my first web cam call with Dave today so I showed him the above picture and exclaimed "Look how much he looks like Liam!" Dave laughed, shook his head, and said "No, honey, Ben looks just like YOU!"


Honestly, I didn't believe him so I went to my baby photos to prove him wrong (after we were off the phone). Instead, I found the above picture. I am still laughing to myself about it. How could I have missed for the past 8 months that Ben looks like me?
So, feel free to mock me for not recognizing the resemblance sooner......
Also, I have some Mommy guilt, so please help me out here. I have always thought that Liam was cuter than Ben (blush). Am I the only Mom who thinks like this? I do feel a bit better about it now because I think Dave is cuter than me.....and Liam looks just like Dave and Ben looks just like me.
Looks aren't the only thing inherited. Liam's stubborness, willfulness, spirited-ness, and shyness all come from me. Ben is proving himself to be very different, and I have to wonder as he grows into his personality if he will have Dave's out-going, determined, magnetic personality and if he will as good a speaker as his father (who is an amazing litigator). Only time will tell.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwww. I see your smile now in your baby pic! You have one of the most beautiful contagious smiles I've ever seen Michelle! Not that thats what this post was abouy;)

TwentySomethingMomma said...

It's insane just how deep those resemblances run!

As far as mommy-guilt is concerned, I think it's totally normal to look at your kids differently. They are, after all, two completely distinct little people.

Honestly, though, I'd find it hard to decide which of your boys was the cuter baby - they're both quite handsome! :)