Friday, July 19, 2013

Feeling lost

We have arrived in Southern Pines and I love the town and I love our house.  The town has a main street with cute shops and restaurants and everyone seems to know everyone else.  There is a farmer's market, good CSA co-op, and first Fridays with beer/wine, and live music.

But I feel lost.  Literally, I keep getting lost without my GPS and constantly find I have taken the longest way or gone in a big circle.  There is no local Target or Costco.  I am not sure how I'll manage.  This is the first time on Tricare Standard trying to find doctors and it is more challenging than I expected. 

The boys are doing amazing.  Ben is day time potty trained and Liam has been dry 5 nights in a row.  Liam started school and immediately befriended the child in the class that was noticeably different due to a hearing aid with wires that connect to electrodes on his head.  Everyone that meets Ben falls in love with him.

What to do about therapy?  Last year I was feeling Liam did not get much out of ABA.  Now school is full time.  Do I discontinue him?  The school has a military kids lunch bunch and social skills groups start in January.  Do I rely on those?  With Ben, the preschool department said he does not qualify for services.  What to do about private speech and OT?  Services are limited in our little town.  Is it worth the 50 minute drive to Fayetteville?

Liam qualifies for AIG services.  Due to the fact his intelligence is SO high, he gets 3 pull outs a week.  One is with his classmates for differentiated instruction.  His class has a large number of gifted students and the AIG teacher is also working with Liam's teacher, Mrs. Lee to make sure the gifted students are being taught at their level.  In addition, Liam will get pulled out for independent research with a mix of grades.  The AIG teacher was amazed he was only 5 years old.  She will be a good advocate.

At the moment Liam has no IEP.  The school wants to observe him for a few weeks.  Of course, his behavior reports are perfect, he is sweet, and seems to love school.  I am worried they won't see his issues and I hate uncertainty.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

No school services for Ben?! : (

Social Skills groups are probably really good for Liam's age. Sorry the therapy situation is difficult!

Unknown said...

I am so glad the boys are doing so well! But I am wondering too - No school services for Ben?! I hope you start feeling less lost soon!

Unknown said...

Hmm I have no idea how to do this blogging thing I am showing uo as "unknown" (that last post was me - Mary Heinrich :)

Kelly2 said...

What happens if you take a wait and see approach with both of them? Sometimes with kids like Ben and Kate-- it takes a bit of time for the experts to "zero" in on the deficiencies.. At first glance, it's easy to miss them.