Saturday, April 13, 2013

Surgery time again

Ben got his 2nd set of tubes, had an intrascapular tonsillectomy (meaning the tonsils were shaved down instead of cut off), and had RAST testing done.  This was his 3rd surgery, the 4th ENT surgery between both boys, and the 5th surgery overall between both boys.  Some things get easier, like I no longer get nervous before the surgery.  Some things stay the same, like the sickness I feel when they take my baby away to put him under general anesthesia.

Before surgery Ben was all smiles:

Post-surgery, he became combative.  I wish I had pushed harder for them to give whatever they gave Liam before waking up to keep him calm.  The nurse finally suggested we just leave.  He screamed and cried the entire 30 minute drive home, and for quite awhile after getting home.  Eventually, he settled down enough to just glare in pain:


I was not allowed to get up as it resulted in him crying again:

Finally, he fell asleep, on top of me of course:


While he was asleep, Liam's 4th tooth fell out:


He woke up and was in a better mood:



Today, he is back to normal, less tonsils and with brand new ear tubes:


2 comments:

Allyson said...

So glad that he seems to have taken the surgery in stride! Did the nurse really suggest that you 'just leave'?! I really hope that she was just thinking he would do better in his home environment. Otherwise, 'grr!'

Michelle said...

Allyson, I do think she meant that, but I was frustrated as I told them he has horrible wake ups. In October, they have Liam something right before he woke up to sedate him and while it made him nauseous, he was much more manageable. Hopefully, Ben won't have any more surgeries, but if h does, I might insist on it.