Monday, March 26, 2012

The week that brought us all down

Last week was a week where nothing seemed to go right or as expected.  It seemed to last forever and the weekend was not at all relaxing.

Monday was Ben's school eligibility testing, and my sullen boy was all smiles and cooperation and charm for the SLP, SPED teacher, and school psychologist who met him.  He told them what his name was, showed off his academic skills, and spoke in sentences...yes, sentences!  He kept smiling at me and saying "Mama, I having lot fun!"  I am not sure where this talking version of Ben came from but he only vaguely resembled my real son.  In any case, we go back on March 30th for the results of the testing and to write his IEP, if appropriate.  They couldn't tell me the results of the testing on the spot, but did say they were concerned by the amount of echolalia they heard and some other speech irregularities.

Tuesday was the first day of spring, but we live in Alaska and still have more snow on the ground than I am tall, so it was a bit anti-climatic.  We are experiencing break up, which means the snow and ice is starting to melt and break a bit.  Highs are still below freezing but the sunlight we are getting is making things melt. I volunteered in Liam's school and that is always hard for me emotionally as I see how different his play is than his classmates.  Around this time, Ben suddenly decided he needed to be held non-stop so I should have known what was coming.  I believe this photo was taken that day as the boys had woken at 3am and never napped despite riding in the car for over 3 hours that day:



Wednesday seemed to be normal until the last afternoon.  I went to leave for karate and Ben was covered in liquid poop up to his shoulders.  I got him clean and got Liam to karate on time.  That night Liam had soft poop.  I was worried as we had a full Thursday planned and Dave was even taking leave.

4:30am Ben woke crying with another awful diaper.  We had just got him cleaned and back to sleep when Liam woke saying he had to poop....and he ended up vomiting.  I cancelled all school that day and left Dave to deal with the boys.  Our heating system was getting a check that day and it was discovered our hot water heater was leaking so we lost all hot water.  Somewhere in there I got my hair cut and then I went to meet with the neuropsychologist for the results of Liam's testing.  The results need their own post, so more on that later.  The boys seemed better by afternoon and we went to bed hopeful....until 11am when Liam woke crying and we got into his room just in time to watch him projectile vomit everywhere.

Friday morning Ben seemed better so I took him into Anchorage for a PT (physical therapy) assessment while Dave stayed home with Liam.  It turns out that Ben DOES need PT in order to work on his extreme toe walking.  We got home, and everything was fine until the evening whenBen was suddenly back to liquid poops.  Friday afternoon we got a new water heater, but somehow it has screwed up our water pressure and now hot water comes at only a trickle.  We still haven't fixed that.

Liam was better by Saturday afternoon but Ben was still sick on Sunday.  After the last week, I need a vacation, but this week we have: Liam's PT assessment, PT and OT for Ben, speech (x3) and OT (x2) for Liam, Floortime for Ben, Early Intervention and playgroyup for Ben and ABA for Liam.....plus Ben's IEP meeting and meeting with Liam's SPED teacher to plan a new IEP for him given the results of the neuropsychology testing.

No comments: