Monday, March 26, 2012

This changes everything....

Last week I got the results of Liam's neuropsychological testing. To say I was shocked is a bit of an understatement. I thought I knew how he did on the test, but I was dead wrong.

I wanted the testing to help with educational testing and to look at areas that might be deficits. I would be lying if I didn't admit that I wondered if Liam is gifted. I am his mom and I think he is special. I spent the week after the testing preparing myself to hear he is NOT gifted, as statistically that was the most likely outcome. I thought I was prepared to hear whatever I might be told, but again, I was wrong.

I was not prepared to hear that Liam tested in the top 1%. I was not prepared to hear he is highly gifted. I was not prepared to hear that due to his intelligence, he has unique needs: a different approach to education (rather than just more work typical of public schools gifted programs). I was not prepared to hear that the disconnect between his intelligence and his pragmatic language skills means he suffers anxiety....and will need therapy sooner rather than later. I was especially not prepared to hear that Liam might not be on the autism spectrum due to the fact that do many if his symptoms of autism overlap with weaknesses of highly gifted kids....or that he might have both PDD-NOS and be highly gifted or something known as twice exception (2e).

While I wait for the report , I am re-grouping and trying to figure out an educational plan. It is clear Liam while never fit any mold and that our path will always be the path less taken. He will always be quirky and social awkwardness will come with his package. On the other hand, I am grateful for the cognitive shift to remind me of all that Liam can do and the fact he is one amazing kid.

1 comment:

Tina Kewy said...

Hi!!
I met you years ago in Ovusoft and I have been following your blog for over a year now. You probably don't remember me, but I have twin boys (6 years old). One of them has ADHD and the other is on the spectrum. Like Liam, John is also in the top 1% but I've known for a little longer so I thought I would make contact and maybe I can offer some advise in the long run? Or just a friendle ear of a "been there done that" mom who understands when most of the world just doesn't get it.

Over here they call John "Asperger's Syndrome" even though I was told this term is no longer in use and has been incorporated into the Autistic Spectrum. Still, call it what you want... I call it a gift :) not a disability. I wish I were like him lol.

Sending many hugs!!
Tina

(Ps. My hubby is also military so I DO understand how it is in other aspects as well! Don't hesitate to drop me a line when you are feeling down :))