Thursday, April 7, 2011

The cupcake incident of 2011

Ben's birthday fell on a Wednesday, which happens to be our busiest therapy day.   In addition, Dave is out of town which means he is 0 for 2 on Ben birthdays.   I decided I needed to do *something* to commemorate Ben's birthday as I am holding his present until Dave gets home.  The night before I got a sitter and ran downtown to Cake Studio, a swanky upscale bakery and bought 3 cupcakes: a brightly colored lemon, red velvet, and berry chocolate.  My plan was to let the boys eat cupcakes for breakfast, but I forgot that Ben will refuse to do something unless he initiates it, so he refused to go downstairs early enough to allow cupcake eating before Liam caught the school bus.

Being stupid stubborn, I think this is the only hitch and figure we'll eat cupcakes at lunch before the 1st of our 4 appointments.  So I make the boys lunch, but immediately, Ben is yelling no and climbing out of his seat, so I figure "He only turns 2 once; I'll just give him the cupcake now."  I even bough a candle that says "2" (I know it looks like a Z, but trust me, it is a 2).


I light the candle and put it in front of Ben and he immediately glares at the cupcake, pissed off at its mere existence.  He became furious when Liam and I began to sing Happy Birthday.



Liam tried to explain how to blow out the candle but Ben just kept yelling "No!" so finally Liam just blew it out.  Here Ben is still yelling "No" and turning away from the offensive sight of a cupcake:

Finally, he started tasting it and realized cupcakes were not a device of torture or secretly harboring spinach



Meanwhile, Liam is whining and crying.  First, he demanded that it was HIS birthday and I needed to sing to him.  He became so distraught that I gave up and sang to him, but that wasn't enough, as he demanded the candle.  Now, Liam thinks he has turned 4. *eye roll*  He tasted his red velvet and started crying demanding Ben's lemon cupcake.....but this was the moment Ben was eating it, so I refused.  I gave Liam the berry chocolate cupcake and then Ben starts crying and pointing at the cupcake in front of Liam, who is now saying he doesn't want any cupcakes as they are gross.  So I gave Ben all the cupcakes.



Ben and I had already eaten the cream cheese icing off the red velvet and he was angry that I had the audacity to put a cupcake without icing in front of him.  He removed it from his plate and I ate it.  After that, Ben said he was all done and left the table.  Liam refused to eat anything at all and also left the table.  I decided to update Facebook with the cupcake fiasco.....only to realize, it had gotten worse.

I went to clean up the table and the berry chocolate cupcake was GONE.  But I found a trail through the house of chocolate drool:



At the end of the trail was this:

I was trying to clean up his trail when he bolted into my closet and grabbed one of my shirts off the hanger and started using it to clean his face.



After this, I cleaned Ben up and we immediately started our string of appointments that kept us out of the house until 6:30pm and that was when we started dinner.  I was one tired mama.

I think next year I'll skip the cupcakes.

4 comments:

Beth said...

Oh Michelle. That's so sad, but also a little funny. Sweet boys.

Happy Birthday Ben!

Kelly said...

Such sweet boys.. We had to have a cupcake for Kate too on Emily's birthday this year. and Kate had to blow out the birthday candles at Emily's party.. do you see the trend???

Dayna Sabrina said...

Wow! That is certainly one to remember. But it sounds hilarious and you'll be cracking up about it years from now.

Celeste Smith said...

He does look genuinely offended by that cupcake. Its sort of funny and I know frustrating all at once!