Schedules are important in our house. I have always liked schedules. I scheduled our honeymoon and many of our European trips (yes, I know everyone thinks that is funny but it is practical!). Dave like felxibility so my schedules
For a kid on the autism spectrum, schedules are vital. Liam has alot of anxiety and it is partly managed by knowing what to expect. All kids are like this, but Liam, like others on the spectrum, does not have the extra emotional resources to manage his reactions to things being thrown off schedule. Liam has been in a tailspin since Christmas break and has not been able to snap out of it. I am watching him backslide and feel helpless as meltdowns and tantrums sneak back into our lives. In addition, his ABA tutor had a baby last week. He has a new tutor but with winter viruses swirling around and the change in tutors, he has had alot of cancelled therapy.
Liam attends special education preschool 5 days a week for 2 hours each day. His travel time on the bus is 30 minutes a day; I spend about 10-20 minutes a day waiting for the bus as it's timing depends on road conditions. This means his school day takes up nearly 3 hours, but I only have just over 2 hours to b out of the house before I need to be back home to meet Liam's bus. Liam does ABA 3 hours a day, 4 days a week. He does speech and OT once a week but that is a 45 minute drive away so it takes a 3 hour block of time. This means 30 hours a week are scheduled for Liam's therapy. Ben does Early Intervention 1 hour a week. He has visiting the chiropractor twice a week, and again that invbolves a 45 minute drive each way so it is a 2.5 hour commitment. In between those nearly 35 hours a week is our free time to hopefully nap, schedule playdates, see friends, run errands, cook meals, and maybe even have free time to play.
So, when I am asked to be flexible, it can be hard. Or when the house cleaner scheduled to come at 10am, but arriving sometime after 11:20am finds herself waiting outside in 16 degree weather, because I only had from 11:20pm to 12pm to run to the store to pick up some dinner for tonight.
This post started about balance.....clearly, we are in desparate need.
2 comments:
I love the idea of a schedule but like you there is so much going on I feel like naps often fall by the wayside and food rarely hits the table at the same time every day. It's even harder now that L has her own little things going on! I feel like I am constantly being pulled in two different directions. Some days we do well and others we wind up eat snack in the back seat of the car waiting for Lily to get out of piano lessons. I am like you though...I function better with structure.
There's no balance in my life. I always feel like we are the only family who just tries to make it day to day. I'm happy if everyone is fed, bathed, and in bed at a reasonable time at night.
Post a Comment