When Liam was a baby, I firmly believed in early potty training. I bought Liam his blue Baby Bjorn potty for his first birthday. We started putting him on it before baths sometime after the age of 1. He wasn't much interested and I was tired and big and not wanting to wrestle 30 pounds of toddler. Then Liam was about to turn 2....he was language delayed and Dave was about to deploy. Potty training couldn't be further from my mind. Around age 2.5, I caught a few pees and even a poop or two. Dave came home when Liam was 34 months and started working harder on potty training, but we were in the middle of the move from Alabama to Alaska. After Liam turned 3, we all focused harder on pottying. It was part of his IEP and he worked on pottying at preschool. It is an OT goal and his OT therapist worked on the potty process. His ABA therapist encouraged him. Dave and I spent alot of time on the potty training. At about 40 months old, Liam was 100% poop trained. I am not sure he pooped in his pants at all in 2011.
He had 6 days off of school, so I decided to try the three day method, fully expecting failure. Our supplies were 5 pairs of Thomas underwear and Hershey's kisses.
Day 1, Liam had three accidents.
Day 2, he had 3 accidents again and the process wore him out so much, he crashed on the couch at 5pm.
Day 3, he had 2 accidents and stayed dry for a trip out of the house for lunch and errands. That night, he spent an hour puking--all over his bed, in the toilet, and then into a bucket in his room. Fun times indeed.
Day 4, he was totally dry.
I am more shocked than I can express!
Sunday, February 20, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
He might just be ready.
I really never had any thoughts on PT'ing. If it happened early, great. If not, I was pretty sure I wouldn't have a 10 year old in diapers. :-) I've seen alot of kids who were PT'ed early (18 months-28ish months) who really regressed after age 3.
I'm now of the school that a little bit later (almost 3) is best. But that's just my own personal observations and experience talking.
Go Liam!
Yay! Liam! I am glad progress was made so fast. L was 4 before she was trained through the night. 3.5 before we had her daytime trained. If there is one thing God has taught me with her is to quit making plans! lol! So I have no potty training plans for little R.
Kelly, I am wondering if you aren't right. I thought about trying to train Ben early, but maybe I'll just follow his lead.
Celeste, L and Liam are so alike. Liam is 3.5 as of yesterday. I don't care whether he is night trained within the year. When he is ready, he'll let me know. ;-)
Michelle, Kate was daytrained just before 3. I was pregnant and had no interest in doing night training at that time. At 3 1/2 she started going through most of the night without waking up. At that point, before we went to bed around 11-- we'd pick her up and put her on the potty. She'd go and go back to sleep. Within the last 3 months, we don't have to do that anymore (so, 4.5-ish). My mom always said that all 3 of us had night -time issues until almost 5, so I guess she knows what she's talking about (on this matter at least. LOL)
Great job Liam! (and Michelle)
What's the 3 day method? Maybe I should try it with Deacon.
Beth, there is an actual 3 day method. I have the e-book but haven't read it. It involves allowing the kid to run naked or just in underwear to get the sensation of peeing. You don't have them pee on a schedule, and just allow them to have accidents. We didn't quite do that. Liam was in underwear (and now doesn't want to wear pants to leave the house) and I didn't have a schedule but occasionally reminded him to pee.
Post a Comment