Thursday, May 2, 2013

This post brought to you by the letters D and A.

In February, I wrote about Ben's first appointment for a developmental screening.  He had his second appointment in March, and I got feedback from the psychologist on April 11th.  April was a crazy month; we celebrated 10 birthdays for different kids, started Tball (2 games a week including 7:30pm Friday night games), and had Ben's tonsils out.  That is not the reason why I have not blogged about the feedback session.

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.  There is the first D word, but there are two more coming.  I guess it cannot be true denial as I sought out the evaluation after being told a year and a half ago that he likely wasn't on the autism spectrum.  Of course, his pediatrician in Alaska told us a year ago to have him re-evaluated by another source, so I did have some reason to seek out a second opinion.

So April 11th has become our family's 2nd diagnosis day (November 3rd is our first).  Rate of autism is currently 1 in 50 children.  Rate in siblings is 1 in 5.  Rate in this household is 2 in 2.  The diagnosis is Autism Spectrum Disorder, based on the upcoming changes to the DSM, but otherwise it would be the same as Liam's, PDD-NOS.

The third D is doubt.  Unfortunately, the psychologist who evaluated him was crappy and her report and pretty crappy.  Ben is on the waiting list to be evaluated by UNC Chapel Hill, so hopefully that will give me some closure. 

I am afraid that people will doubt the validity of Liam's diagnosis.  Generally, I'd say Ben is higher functioning than Liam is.  On a day to day basis, people notice Ben's delays more since he has not received the intensive help that Liam has.

So what led the psychologist to apply the A word, autism to Ben?  Snippets from the report:
--Continued potty training issues
--high pain tolerance
--"his speech was notably inarticulate and difficult to understand at times"
--"repetitive language was observed, he repeated :so soft" four times while touching a doll"
--when asked to describe another doll, he answered brown four times
--"there was little sustained reciprocal communication"
--most of Ben's verbalizations were requests for help
--his scores of the Vineland were higher than only 7% of same aged peers and his scores on socialization were in the delayed range.
--he would not engage in non-preferred activities or those directed by examiner
--his play had a repetitive quality

1 comment:

Kelly2 said...

Don't ever doubt your awesome Mama skills in getting your boys the help they have needed. I am confident that both Ben and Liam will go far because of the help you have gotten them at such a young age.

I am going to email you about the qualities noted in Ben that led them down the ASD route. A lot of them remind me of my nephew.