Monday, October 8, 2012

How the Maxwell AFB pediatric clinic F'ed up

because there is no reason to sugar coat what they did.  They are assholes and I will bear the consequences of whatever shit the Air Force wants to give me for asserting my contitutional rights.

;-)

Last Monday morning around 4am, Ben woke crying and was inconsolable.  He gave different excuses for crying and would no say what hurt him but refused to drink or go back to sleep and simply cried for hours.  Somewhere around 7am, he threw up in the middle of a coughing/crying fit.  Dave called the base to get an appointment as by then, he finally admitted that his left ear hurt.  We also managed to get some Motrin into him.

He was seen at 9am and by then was down right cheerful.  The base pediatrician said he had clear fluid.  I asked for an antibiotic as he had a lingering cough for 2-3 weeks and was told it was not necessary.  I said all fluid had resulted in ear infections and was told to come back if it got worse in a week or so.  I asked for an ENT referral based on the fact that since his tubes fell out, he has had an infection or fluid present anytime he was checked and that was turned down.

Two hours later, he was a mess again.  Crying and completely inconsolable.  He had refused food all day and continued to refuse fluid.  I took Liam to gymnastocs and every mom who saw Ben said he clearly had aan ear infection.

So, when I got home Dave ccalled the base and spoke with the on-call doctor.

We were denied a referral for urgent care and were given a variety of excuses....

-we could not be seen twice in the same day for the same problem
-his fever wasn't high enough
-it didn't matter if he had an ear infection and didn't get medicine until the next day
-it didn't matter if his ear drum burst

That very night I saw clear, pink tinged fluid hanging from his ear.

Any guess what was found when we took him back to the doctor?  An ear infection with bulging drum an small hole, consistent with a small perforation.

We were still denied a referral to an ENT.

We switched to Tricare Standard.....because Maxwell pediatric clinic fucked up and are incompetent.  We'll pay $1000 a year.....but I'd like to point out that my husband doesn't deploy to Afghanistan for fun or earn less than law school classmates to have his son's medical concerns minimized.

2 comments:

Kelly2 said...

that's terrible Michelle. I'm sorry you all went through that experience. It doesn't seem right that you should have to "fight" for basic medical care for your family. Children + ear infections = pretty common It doesn't take a genius to know that. I would have been really upset too that the doctors didn't take your concerns seriously. ((hugs)) Is he all healed up?

x said...

Get yourselves an MOAA supplement which covers the rest of the catastrophic cap after your deductibles... Oh, and congratulations on leaving the dark side of medicine. You lasted longer than we did. At 2 I disenrolled Tom because of incompetent and downright unhelpful peds staff. They were utterly useless. You're going to enjoy life so much more now.