We had 3 appointments on Monday; that is our slow day. :-/
First, Liam had his Monday morning ABA. I talked a bit with his therapist as I am feeling overwhelmed by his anxiety/OCD type behavior involving hoarding. He had gathered up all Ben's birthday gift bags, all the Easter baskets in the house, every empty plastic egg, all the toys the Easter bunny brought (including Ben's toys), an empty candy box, some of Ben's birthday presents and had ALL of this stuff into his closet. With his table full of Lego creations and his dresser cluttered with school art projects, it is impossible to walk through his room without bumping into some weird thing he has decided to hoard. Dave thought of a brillant idea for the plastic eggs; we mailed those back to the Easter Bunny. Now we have to work on getting the rest of the stuff out of his room.
Second, Dave came home to stay with Liam who had to skip preschool to go to the dentist with Dave. In order to get medical clearance to move (which we need dur to being in the exceptional family member program), Liam needs dental clearance. The Air Force is weird. So Dave took Liam to the dentist while I took Ben to his 3 year well baby visit.
Ben is HUGE! Well, for him anyway....no wonder my back has been hurting. As usual his head measured 95th percentile (52 cenimeters). He is 37 inches tall, which is 65th percentile and the first time he has been above average! He is 32 pounds, which is 60th percentile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To put it in perspective, both his height and his weight were below 20th percentile at his two year well baby. He has grown nearly 4 inches and gained 7 pounds in one year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now, the not good stuff......He flipped out about the med tech taking his vital signs. The med tech got frustrated with Ben and kept saying how he'd never seen a kid be so difficult about his temperature being taken on his forehead. I wanted to yell at him that restraining my 3 year old is no picnic for me. Then we saw his pediatrician. You'll rarely hear me say this about military doctors, but I REALLY LIKE this guy. He is good and he is awesome about talking to the children and asking their permission before touching them. It did not much matter; Ben was okay with most of the exam, but flipped out about the doctor looking in his ears and checking in his diaper region. The pediatrician said he sees a lot of red flags for autism in Ben and on his developmental screening paperwork. Of course, this is not news to me, but Ben is so inconcsistent that I don't often hear it. He recommends we get a 2nd opinion from a different developmental pediatrician.
Third, Liam saw the dentist for dental clearance. Dave took him as the boys appointments were too close in time for me to do both. Liam had x-rays of his teeth and cooperated for a cleaning. Dave said he did amazing. He was excited to see his bones with the x-ray and sat still and followed all directions during the teeth cleaning.
Finally, we got word about a summer program that Liam's school SLP had suggested. The University of Alaska-Anchorage is offering a speech and language clinic with students studying to be SLPs. It is an hour twice a week. Liam was accepted to do it. It runs from the beginning of June until mid-July so it fits perfectly in our schedule regarding the move. I asked the program director if I could apply for Ben and she said the wait list is short. The application needs to be filled out by a SLP so I will have her do it when I take Ben to his school based speech therapy this morning. Cross your fingers that Ben gets a slot as I think it would be quite helpful for him.
That is it for our Monday updates......off today for one preschool, two speech therapy appointments, two OT appointments, and Ben's special ed play group.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
We have a similar program here at a university. I am waiting until my conference on Friday with Kate's school ST to see if she thinks I should pursue it. I hope Ben gets into the program.
Post a Comment