A recent study was released yesterday showing that odds of autism for children with a diagnosed sibling are significantly higher than once thought. I blogged about the odds here and felt a bit twitchy about Ben having 1 in 20 odds of a diagnosis. This new study shows that 19% of children with a sibling on the spectrum will also receive a diagnosis. When talking about boys, that percentage is even higher....25%....a 1 in 4 chance. I heard about this earlier in the day while dealing with a puking Liam, so I kind of shoved it to the back of my brain. Then last night Dave comes home having heard this study on NPR and Dave is shaken and tells me how anxious it makes him. Dave is a rock; little worries him. In our relationship, I am the one who does all the worrying, and if he is worried, then there is a good reason. Honestly, those odds scare me so much that I sti;ll don't have the ability to think about it too much.
I STILL haven't heard from the developmental pediatrician...the only one in Alaska that Ben was referred to months ago. Several weeks ago, Ben's OT through Early Intervention said he contacted her to ask her opinion, which was that Ben needs an evaluation from a specialist. I have talked to Liam's BCBA about Ben and she said he reminds her alot of her oldest son who was diagnosed with Asperger's at the age of 7. In my heart, in my gut, I still think he doesn't meet the criteria for being on the spectrum and just has sensory issues at play, but I am not exactly an uninvolved party. When I am honest, I know that Ben ignores most people and chooses only to engage with me and Liam.
Liam starts special education preschool next week. I wouldn't be anxious except none of his classmates will be the same, and despite my explaining this to him, he doesn't understand it. In addition, his teacher is having surgery so he'll be starting the year with a substitute. The school's SLP retired and there will be a new one; the SLP who retired was excellent and I am having a hard time imagine anyone as good replacing her. We were supposed to go to the school yesterday to meet his teacher and tour the classroom, but he was puking, so we couldn't.
Next week I meet with the church preschool that Liam will start in September. I have massive anxiety about this. Will he get kicked out for potty accidents? Will other kids pick up on his differences and ostracize him or make fun of him? How will he deal with a larger classroom with more kids? How will Ben and I manage being always on the go?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I hope your gut is right about Ben and he just has sensory issues. It doesn't help to have to wait so long to get in.
Back when Teddy started speech his therapist suggested maybe meeting with the developmental pediatrician. months later when we where nearing the end of his therapy I got a letter that they were trying to call me for an evaluation but by that time they told me he was almost caught up in speech so I didn't make one so other kids could have it.
Hopefully you will get in for an appointment. hopefully it is a good sign they are calling and asking.
Teddy isn't as bad as your boys but sometimes I wonder if he has some sensory issues too. I bet he have a lot of fun with them.
((hugs)). I understand many of your fears and anxieties. I, too, read that article the other day. My anxiety about the new school environment is out of control. Things aren't being helped by the fact there is virtually NO communication from them regarding what to send, the school supply list, etc. Just wanted to say you aren't alone in your fears.
I would be anxious too Michelle. Heck, Wes has an older sibling and anytime he does anything the least bit quirky my mind starts racing. But there really isn't any answer other than it is what it is, and worrying about it isn't going to change it. I say that to myself over and over again. Sometimes it actually helps. (insert hugs here)
Post a Comment