Friday, January 22, 2010

a little bit about my emotions



Sometimes I forget that Liam's PDD-NOS is happening to him, not to me.  As a mother with hopes and dreams for her child and as someone with desire to have things simply be normal, I get lost in selfishness and feel like this is happening to me.  One day when Liam has enough language to talk to me, I want to find out how his conceptualizes his differences.  For today though, I need to talk about how I feel.

The past 6 months or so, I have had three continual emotions swirling around and maybe if I acknowledge them, I can finally push them aside.  These emotions are: confusion, loss of hope, and sadness. 

Confusion came first.  How did we find ourselves here?  How did my son, my perfect son end up with a developmental delay. For those that haven't followed Liam's life story.  He had a rough start:
with APGARs of 1, 7, and 8.  But then everything was textbook.  He rolled belly to back at 2 months and back to belly at 6 months.  He sat unassisted at 5 months and started crawling at 8 months.  He pointed at 8 months and clapped at 9 months.  At 12 months, he had several words.  I even blogged about it here: Liam's first words  At 14 months, we started dealing with awful tantrums, and everyone told us it was normal.  We were told that toddlers are difficult and boys are even harder.  I researched Sensory Processing Disorder, and everyone told me that it is part of the trend to label everything and every kid.  At Liam's 18 month well-baby visit, the pediatrician said his word count was at the high end of normal, and she was surprised he wasn't yet using two word sentences.  Then Ben was born when Liam was 19 months, and soon Liam's development veered off the normal path.  How does a child develop normally for so long and then diverge from the path of typically developing?  How does a child with advanced language skills end up 10 months behind?  Liam is social, and at his 2 year well baby visit when I asked for a referral to a developmental pediatrician, his pediatrician said he didn't need one.  "His eye contact is excellent; he engages with me."  Autism Spectrum Disorders are not linear; it is not a yes or no, but rather an amount.  I still hear how social and engaging Liam is, but now it is phrased as a strength and something therapy will capitalize on.

In alot of ways, I have moved past the confusion, as how we ended up here does not to help Liam.  Once I heard the diagnosis, I just wanted to jump in and start as many interventions as possible.  However, the why and how do matter for Ben.  I want to avoid the same path Liam is on for Ben, but do not know how to do that without knowing the why and how.  This brings us to my next emotion.....

I have a loss of hope.  I watch other mothers celebrate milestones and I feel no joy.  Ben plays peek-a-boo and tries to clap, and I am left to wonder whether he seems to be developing normally now, but will be diagnosed with a developmental delay down the road.  Ben has been late with alot of physical milestones, and I no longer can shrug and talk about individual differences and every child developing at their own pace.  As I watch Ben grow, I know that an autism spectrum disorder is a real risk for him.  According to some information, Ben's risk of being diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder is 1 in 20, as compared to the 1 in 70 to 1 in 100 odds (using the most recent CDC data) of someone without an older sibling on the spectrum.  With a 5% likelihood, it is hard to feel hopeful. I watch other moms struggle with difficult children and I watch other toddler boys have difficulty engaging, and my mind immediately goes to autism.  I don't have the hope of other moms that this is just a stage.

A loss of hope results in alot of sadness.  Sadness for not having the same parenting experience as my friends.  Sadness as I watch other toddlers develop romances and friendships while Liam watches from a distance or simply engages by pushing, tickling, and running.  Sometimes I don't want to even talk to other parents or even go on playdates, as my path is diverging from theirs.  Sadness over the loss of words I experience when they ask me how Liam is doing.  I usuallysimply say fine as I have seen the polite nodding when I go in details about the various therapies.  Sadness over the life that Liam and I may never have.  Sadness when I meet other parents with kids on the spectrum who tell me that their child is doing wonderfully and is in regular school.....but then outline all the things they stiill need to do daily and weekly to ensure that their child succeeds. 

I have mentioned the movie "Autistic Like" before, and Graham's mom put into words exactly how I feel.  You can red more about what Jennie does here:  Jennie

My Disappearance — by Jennie Linthorst


The conversations in my mind
have grown too big, too intense
for the grocery aisle,
or the sandbox in the park.
I am mapping out miracles,
creative interactions,
scheduling brain scans, special meals
and blood work;
opening my door to therapists at seven am,
and pushing my true thoughts
deeply away.

My silence is trying to grasp
how to find time for a marriage
that has been placed in the wings
while my son’s life
is choreographed on center stage.
My silence holds possible dreams
of a normal life;
with family vacations, car trips,
and time not scheduled.

6 comments:

Laura said...

What an honest post, and yes it is your issue too. I share that sense of sadness when it comes to interacting with other parents and the playgroups and whatnot. I've withdrawn a bit, and that's the way I cope but I guess that's not, you know, uplifting advice. My son now attends an "integrated" preschool with some marginally special needs children along with typical peers, so that helps. Over time, you just recalibrate your expectations, and take joy in the progress, and yes there will be progress, only it will happen according to a different time table. Anyway, sorry for rambling, just wanted to share some thoughts.

three feet high said...

oh, Michelle, i'm so sorry. i know it's probably impossible right now, because every ounce of your energy is going toward Liam and Ben, but when Dave gets home i hope you can figure out a way to get some support for you, too.

Celeste Smith said...

(((hugs)))
I so identified with this. The first five Years of Lily's life were really tough in this way. Even though I new how and why she was so delayed..I would watch her sometimes and wonder "how long was she deprived of oxygen that first time she quit breathing on her own? How long is too long? How much of her brain was effected?" All those years I would look at other peoples children and listen to the things they would talk about and our days were filled with speech therapy...weigh ins...sickness...I couldn't even pick up books because my kid wasnt in that book. I wondered. Would she ever have friends? would she catch up? what would school be like? would people tease her?
I remember one day listening to her cousin and his friend ask her to say stuff...cocoa puffs "toe toe puffs" graham cracker "damn crackers" and they would life and she would laugh with them and I would think...is this her life for forever? I remembered that kid from high school. Anyway she is almost nine as you know and even after holding her back she is still a bit different from her friends at school...her speech still has some issues that the ST says she will eventually grow out of. I know the situations are not the exact same but I just wanted to let you know that your feelings are valid no matter how erratic they seem! (((more hugs)))

Michelle said...

Laura, it does help to hear how other people manage these emotions in the long run. I think the re-adjusting expectations is the hardest for me. I have several friends with kids about Liam's age with language delays, and they are going through language explosions now and their parents can quantify their progress. B/c Liam's language involves so much echolalia, I cannot really do that. I have heard new words on a regular basis for well over a year, but it doesn't mean I'll hear those words again or that Liam understands what they mean. I find people have a hard time understanding how Liam can be speaking sentences (scripts), repeat phrases, memorize things, but still not be able to respond to communication directed at him, except to repeat it.

Liza, I am not even sure what would help me....exercise? regular dates with Dave? learning a new skill or hobby? support group for other moms with kids on the spectrum?

Celeste, it is hard when you are in the middle of it to see the end, so it is nice to hear your experience.

kim said...

Hi, just dropping by from another blog. My son james is now 6. He has aspergers. It took us forever to get any diagnosis since like you i tried to get help but everyone told me he was fine even our pediatrician... he was at the end of 5 when we finaly got a formal diagnosis.

i can relate to alot of what you have to say. I feel that way a lot too.

I have been writing a post like this for days but i never finish it and post it.

I just keeping hoping things will improve though for him. One day at a time.

TwentySomethingMomma said...

Sometimes I wonder why parenthood throws so many unexpected curveballs. While V doesn't exhibit any worrisome behaviors (aside from constantly sensory-seeking and generally running me ragged), the fact that he has a speech delay has affected quite a bit of his social development.

When he's around other children, it pains me to see that he doesn't seem to have the ability to relate to them in the same way that they can relate to each other. While other kids his age (and younger!) have no problems communicating and can play cooperatively, I find my guy hovering around the sidelines or attempting to engage them, but not being entirely able to.

The image of Liam standing alone in a room full of children is one that I'm familiar with, albeit for different reasons, and breaks my heart all the same. I wish things could be different for him.

Still, despite your concerns and conflicting emotions, I think you've been handling his diagnoses beautifully. It isn't selfish to grieve the loss of the dreams you had for your son; it's part of the process of healing and realizing that though your "normal" may be different from others', it doesn't make you or Liam any less amazing.

Stay strong, mama - you've always had it in you. <3