Tuesday, November 2, 2010

It is probably nothing.....

but after berating myself for not pursuing Early Intervention with Liam sooner when I first noticed his sensory issues and problems with transitions, I am not taking any chances.  Liam started to be difficult at 14-16 months, but everyone assured me it was "normal"and I ignored my Mommy instinct.  I learned how to control Liam's environment to avoid themeltdowns, and then when Ben was born chaos ensued.  Looking back, both Liaam and I were so unhappy, and now that he is receiving adequate therapy, he is such a different kid that I wished I had called earlier to save us all the months of heartache.


Ben is such a different child from Liam, and definitely has a different developmental path.  Nonetheless, over the last 2 months, he has gone from simply being high needs to being just outright angry.  All Ben wants to do all day is have me hold him and walk circles around the house.  I feel like I have a newborn.

Then there is this....


He walked heel to toe for 6 months and just recently his heels have raised.  I read everything I could find and walking on toes after 18 months is a definite problem.

I e-mailed Early Intervention, and they agreed that Ben qualifies for an evaluation for sensory and motor issues.  I feel sick to my stomach thinking about it, but I don't want the months of misery I had with Liam either.

Ben also heads to Seattle this week to see the pediatric GI specialist at Seattle Chidlren's Hospital.  I am hoping that between both of these upcoming appointments, I can find a happier Ben that is willing to play with his brother instead of cry everytime Liam touches him.

7 comments:

liza said...

Oh, Michelle. Hugs to you -- I hope you're right and it's nothing, but if not, at least Ben has the best mama ever for this kind of challenge.

Kelly said...

((hugs)) Michelle. I soo wish that Ben could be easier for you. It seems so unfair how much our children go through and how much we as Moms need to fight for them.

The saving grace here is that Alaska seems to be a much better place for your kiddos than Alabama was. So, there's that. Though I know, it's not much of a consolation. ((hugs))

Celeste Smith said...

(((hugs)))
I can't imagine how worried you must be. You are in my constant prayers. I hope you find some answers and that helps to make happy Ben.

x said...

Michelle, you are spot on to get this evaluated right now. Good for you. You are right to trust your mummy instinct. Just curious, but with Ben's reflux, have they ever tested him for a milk allergy? It just seems weird that his reflux has gone on so long, and you know how it was with Tom - milk allergic, and he had reflux until he was 1. We only got that allergy testing done at 2, since his docs were so difficult.

Erin said...

FWIW-My Trevor is a toe walker...has been his whole life, and I didn't know it was a problem. Until the last few years. It's affected his growth and his ability to stand straight, and shortened his tendon. So-You are awesome for doing this now, he may have to have surgery because I didn't know better. Trevor has Sensory Processing Disorder, but it's manageable. And the earlier you work on these things, the better off you are! ((HUGS))

mz said...

I think it's great that you are trusting your gut and getting an evaluation. Hopefully all the difficult behavior is just a stage but if it's not you'll be able to get help sooner. I'm praying for you all!

Anonymous said...

You are one STRONG mama! Your boys are blessed to have you <3. Praying both appointments had answers.