Saturday, November 27, 2010

In Thanksgiving.....

I have much to be thankful for this year....

  • SLEEP


After over 19 months of poor sleep, sometimes sleeping less than 8 hours a night, often awake by 5am and/or awake for 2-3 hours around 1-2am, Ben is sleeping.  It has been over a week since I have gotten up with Ben, although he has been up in the night the last two nights (and has fallen back to sleep without needing me).

  • HUSBAND

Last year Dave left the US in early November and missed: Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Valentine's, Ben's 1st birthday, Easter, our anniversary (dating, marriage, and engagement), Mother's Day, and his birthday.  This year, he is home.  He just realized he has never spent a Christmas with Ben.  I am thankful he is here.

  • PROGRESS

Last year Liam didn't know to look at the camera and smile, but this year he does.  Last year Liam only used scripts and delayed echolalia and rarely more than 2 words together.  Today Liam speaks in complete sentences.  Last year Liam didn't know it was the holidays or what Santa was.  This year he can name days of the week and knows the difference between holidays.  With every day that passes, I am increasingly hopeful that Liam will just be quirky and different but will have a totally normal life.


3 comments:

Laura said...

hey Michelle! thanks for sharing this! I love seeing progress in the kids...I'm curious though what type of intervention you guys have done for Liam...
thanks!
Laura
www.followingGodalongthespectrum.com

Celeste Smith said...

Ha! R has that same onesie...that really is ALL I want for Christmas! I am glad your hubbs is home with you and always happy to hear of Liam's continuing progress.

Michelle said...

Hi Laura,

We started with Early Intervention for Liam (speech and OT). We added in ABA therapy and eventually private OT and speech. Now, he gets a bit of Floortime type therapy from his ABA tutor due to the fact that he memorizes his ABA program so quickly. At age 3, he started special education preschool also.