Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Halloween and the value of social stories

I have dreaded getting Liam into costume every year since 2007 when he was too small to protest.  This year his ABA tutor did alot of social stories with Liam about Halloween and wearing his costume.  On Halloween, Liam started crying and demanding his normal pants, so I went into his room and fetched the story that he had colored with his ABA tutor and reminded him about his costume.  He happily put it on, and I didn't hear any complaints the rest of the night.  Even more amazing...he went trick or treating!  He needed me to stand right with him for security and needed verbal prompts to remember to say "tick or treat" and "thank you" but he DID it.  He was still saying yesterday "I love trick or treating.  I love being a dragon."

Ben was not nearly as happy about being a giraffe.




1 comment:

Celeste Smith said...

They are so cute! I am glad that Liam enjoyed it! R didnt like being Tinker Bell all that much either!