Tuesday, July 13, 2010

We are 0 for 2 with healthy ears and 1 for 2 with adenoids

Liam ot ear tubes in January to help drain the persistent clear fluid he had.  He didn't get many infections, but everyone thought the fluid was impacting his speech.  I didn't see a chane in Liam's speech, but his vestibular system was impacted by the fluid.

Since May, Ben had 3 ear infections.  We saw the ENT last week and he suggested an adenoidectomy to help with Ben's snoring, mouth breathing, and poor sleep.

Ben had surgery this morning.  I was  worried about how he'd manage last night with no nursing after midnight.  He woke at 11:20pm to sneak in one last session, and then let Dave rock him to sleepat 4am.  He was in good spirits at the surgery center, charming everyone in the waiting room.  He did okay getting checked in and looked so tiny in his hospital gown.


Then he got bored, so the nurses got him a wagon.  He was so happy in it, they took him away for surgery still in it!


The surgery was longer than Liam's ear tubes, and it was harder to leave Ben since he is so little.  The ENT said his adenoids were VERY enlarged.  Adenoid size is graded 0 to 4 with 0 being the size of healthy adenoids.  Ben's were a size 3 and would have kept growing until age 5.  In his case, surgery was essential.  When he woke, he had an awful bleeding from his nose. He initially woke from anesthesia upset, but consolable....but the bleeding freaked him out.  He wouldn't nurse and wouldn't calm down and got blood everywhere.  He cried until we got home and I put him in a mei tai.



When he woke, he was calm enough to nurse and drink some yogurt.  He took a bath, played a little, and ot exhausted again.  He is napping as I type.

I am crossing my fingers that his sleep will improve now that Ben can breathe easier without his adenoids obstructing his airway.  I am hopeful that we are done with ear infections for now.

3 comments:

three feet high said...

my fingers are crossed too! i can't believe how freaking cute he looks in that gown :)

HRH Mommy said...

Hope things will improve for both Ben and with that you. Did he recover from the surgery and the freak out of the nose bleed okay?

Michelle said...

Ben's nose never bled again. His is healin slowly and has a fever 2 days later. I am hopin he'll be back to himself soon.