Thursday, July 15, 2010

Milestones you never hear about

except within the autism spectrum community.  I see why as Ben grows; things come so easily for him, while Liam struggles to internalize certain social behaviors.



Milestone #1:  Liam made a friend.  I don't mean that Liam plays well with a playgroup friend, who he is with because I am friends with the mom.  No, Liam made a friend at school.  They have been in class since September together, but over the last month, they have become inseperable at school.  When I pick up Liam, W runs after him saying "good-bye" and when I remind Liam to say "bye" to his friend, they embrace in a bear hug. W's mom actually told me that W talks about Liam at home and asks repeatedly for Liam to come over to swim.  We are headed to their house after school this afternoon (he doesn't nap anyway, so we might as well go on a playdate). 

Milestone #2:  Liam has begun to spontaneously say "I love you."  He has been saying it as part of routine and/or delayed echolalia as part of the bedtime routine for months now. About two weeks ao, he was playing with Ben and burst out with "Awwwwww, I love you, baby Ben!"  The next day mid-day, he told me "I love you Mommy!"  Then this last weekend,he told Daddy he loved him too.  There was a time I doubted whether Liam would ever be able to tell me how he feels, and everytime he says those words spontaneously, I tear up, realizing how far we have come and how lucky I am.

Milestone #3:  Liam has finally started to look at the camera sometimes, which means I can get some more pictures of his sweet smile, gorgeous blue eyes, and handsome face.  He more often than not says "cheese" and looks away from the camera, but he is beginning to understand more the point of picture taking.

He is also trying to drink from open cups more, though he demands we all say "cheers" first and he drinks from a wine glass, like Mommy and Daddy (blush).


He is really into Thomas the train these days, but still loves his stuffed animals.


We head back to the Developmental Pediatrician next week, and I'll give an update on therapy after that appointment.

6 comments:

three feet high said...

aw, this post made ME get teary! Liam is a lucky boy to have a mama who advocates for him -- he has made this progress due to his own strength and determination, yes, but also because *you* have worked so tirelessly on his behalf.

MWalker said...

That is great to see all these "hidden" milestones that other people don't think about.

Liam has come such a long way; I'm so happy for you!

Kelly said...

Michelle, don't kid yourself the HUGE part you have played in all of this. Kate does not have autism but we have dealt with speech delays, etc. and at the end of our stint with early intervention (when she graduated!), the speech therapist gave me a huge pat on the back when she told me that Kate worked hard, yes, but Mama was a big contributor to her success.

don't forget that!

mz said...

Way to go Liam and way to go mama!

HRH Mommy said...

Oh Michelle, that is just wonderful!! I am so happy to read all this and Liam is indeed such an adorable little man. Good luck at the appointment, look forward to hearing how it went.

Have a great weekend!

Laura said...

What a moving post. The upside of being a special ed mom (yes, there is one) is not taking those wonderful achievements for granted. This post beams, as it should!