This article basically outlines every issue I had getting Liam enrolled in the Exceptional Family Member's Program (EFMP) while Dave was deployed.
Special needs program gets mixed reviews - Air Force News, news from Iraq - Air Force Times
No one could tell me what happened to the EFMP paperwork after it was filed, and no one could confirm that Liam was successfully enrolled. No one cared that I was completing the paperwork whilemy husband was in Afghanistan and no one took responsibility to inform me when he was enrolled so I could start the ECHO process (a seperate proram so Liam could start ABA). When I contacted the patient advocate at Maxwell, she didn't even know what the EFMP program was and had to call another base to find out how I could confirm that Liam was successfully enrolled.
According to the article, the Air Force lags behind the other branches when it comes to meeting the needs of special needs families.
When we get to Alaska, it looks like there is a non-profit group with parent advocates, and I am looking forward to their help.
Monday, July 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That's terrible Michelle. I'm so sorry to hear of your difficulty getting Liam the help he needs. It really angers me when I hear of other parents struggling. Helping your child is not something anybody should have to struggle with! (hugs)
Kelly,
The thing is that ssince Liam has gotten into the program there has been no problem. There was no person at Maxwell that handles EFMP paperwork and the person I submitted it to told me she knew nothing about what happened to it after it left her hands. I found the base generally was not familiar with the issues related to special needs. With families movin so much,there needs to be a better support structure.
Post a Comment