He isn't toddling yet, but he is a year old as of yesterday which moves him to the toddler category from the baby category. The feelings I am experiencing remind me how I got into baby bunching in the first place. It is a good thing Dave is deployed b/c I know the harder days are coming.
Benjamin Andrew Routhier was born April 6th, 2009, and he shifted my entire world. The whole universe sifted with Liam's birth, but Ben's birth brought almost as many changes. I had a much harder time adjusting to life with 2 children than I did to adjusting to life with children in the first place. I felt like I was constantly having to choose one boy's need to the detriment of the other. Even now, I cannot change Liam's diaper, dress him, put his shoes on, get him in/out of the crib or carseat without Ben having a fit of jealousy resulting in a screaming tantrum.
Ben's arrival was less dramatic than Liam's, though even with a scheduled c-section, he had heart decels during contractions resulting in a quicker surgery than anticipated. He also passed briefly through the NICU due to aplasia cutis congenita, which healed by 4 weeks. The big thing that overshadowed his birth was his reflux--screaming 7 hours a day for his first 5-6 months, spitting up blood, difficulty growing.....horrible, horrible reflux. At this point, he still spits up about once a day and has wet burps several more times a day, but the pain seems to be controlled by Prilosec.
Ben is developing quite a little personality. He is a talker, though his favorite word at the moment is "no" which is quite telling. He tries to say dog and duck, though they sound the same. He mimics language alot. He has some major clinginesss going on, but doesn't like to be touched by others. He moves.....alot....he can climb up slides without any help and crawls lightening fast. He cruises alot and likes to dance. He loves to eat and eats everything. When he doesn't get his way, he throws his head down and cries dramatically.
His 12 month well baby showed he is still at the bottom of the charts. Here are the numbers:
Height: 29 inches (20th percentile)
Weight: 18 pounds 14 ounces (4th percentile)
Head Circumfrence: 81st percentile
He is tiny compared to Liam, who was 2 inches taller and 4 pounds heavier.
2 comments:
I just cant believe it has been a year! I know it has been a rough one for you!
Ok, so I have an issue with your title here... I don't care what folks say, your babies are ALWAYS your babies!! David will disagree w/ me on this one, but I will argue until I'm blue in the face- that I don't care how tall or how old my boys get... Bryan and Joel will ALWAYS be my babies!!! (Ok, I'm done now...) ;-)
Post a Comment