Monday, November 30, 2009

Thankful for "old" friends

Lindsey on the left at 28 weeks pregnant and me in the flowered dress at 32 weeks pregnant:

Jack at 1 month and Liam at 2 months.....and their tired mommies.....

Liam at 10 months and Jack at 9 months at Lindsey's house in England before we left


Liam at 19 months and Jack at 18 months, shortly before Ben arrived, playing with our water table here in Montgomery


Liam and Jack today at 2 years old:


The week leading up to Thanksgiving, I was in a serious funk. Ben wasn't sleeping and it was grey and rainy here in Montgomery. It was going to be the first Thanksgiving since 2001 that I'd spend without Dave, and I was (and still am) missing him so much that I feel empty.
I am thankful for my friend, Lindsey, who invited me to her house in Georgia to spend the holiday with her and her two year old son, Jack. Lindsey and I met shortly before we both got pregnant, and our pregnancies and two sons made us friends. While we were pregnant, Lindsey often stopped by my office to chat and we compared symptoms. Once our boys arrived, our friend, Beth, organized playdates and we drank tea and discussed nursing, sleep deprivation, and baby milestones. When I left England, we kept in touch. As luck would have it, Lindsey moved only 4-5 hours away. She visited shortly before Ben's arrival, and Jack showed Liam how to play with a water table. This visit was a riot, but I'll dedicate a separate post to Liam and Jack's friendship. :-)
Despite the challenges of the last few months, I have much to be thankful for: good friends, beautiful sons, a loving husband, the ability to stay home with my children, a comfortable lifestyle, and good health.

No comments: