Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Sleep deprivation, the same old story & other random things


Dave and I do not have sleeping genes it appears, and both boys have been challenged in the sleep department. I seriously have some sort of PTSD related to Liam's sleep from his 8th month of life until his 11th month. It has scarred me and distorted my view of all things sleep related. I am fairly certain that a 3 month stretch of sleep like that while Dave is deployed will kill me.

Last night, I was still awake at 10:30pm. I should have been in bed, and usually am by that time, but last night I was worried about Dave. He is very busy and only gets a chance to write 1 line e-mails, and I had last heard from him before he left the safety of his base, and he never wrote to tell me he made it back. Around 10pm, when it was morning his time, he finally had written to me. So I was awake when Ben woke up. He nursed until 11:30pm then it took me 30 minutes to fall asleep. I was very groggy when he woke at 1am. I dosed in and out while he nursed until 2am. He woke for the day at 4am. That's right, 4am. That gaave me 3 hours of broken sleep. It also meant he was asleep for a total of 8 hours with 2 one hour long wake-ups. How can that possibly be enough sleep for him?

We had to leave the house at 6:30am for Ben's weight check on base. It was a decent appointment. Here are the stats:
Length: 27.25 inches which is 65th percentile
Weight: 15 pounds 6 ounces which is 8th percentile
Head: a bit over 18 inches which is 89th percentile
Most importantly, we got a referral to see a different GI doctor and get a 2nd opinion on what is going on with Ben.

Dave is experiencing his own exhaustion due to work days that sometimes last 20 hours. I hope things improve for all of us soon.

2 comments:

TwentySomethingMomma said...

Sending good thoughts your way, Michelle, and hoping that the craziness starts to resemble normalcy sometime soon. You've been coping incredibly well with all the curveballs life has thrown at you these past few months - I don't know that I would be able to handle it all half as well as you have!

Also thinking of Dave and hoping for his continued safety - it's clear that the two of you are a united front and I hate that you have to face so many hurdles without him. =(

Anonymous said...

praying they improove for you soon <3