Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Student Support Meeting and feeling defeated

Yesterday was a Student Support Meeting for Liam.  It was ill fated from the beginning.....the purpose of the meeting was not entirely clear to me, Dave is out of town, I was awake with insomnia from 1:30am, and on top of all of that, I am sick with what I can only assume is deadly pneumonia (I joke, but it feels that way).

In the room were: Liam's teacher, the school counselor, the school psychologist, the school SLP, the vice-principal, and the principal.

--First import point, I need to insist the AIG teacher attends all future meetings as she knows Liam really well....probably the best out of those that did attend the meetings.

We addressed Liam's anxiety in the classroom.  The school counselor has made him a social story book with photos of him, and suggested relaxation techniques (deep breathing, counting to 10). Now when he starts to get anxious, the teacher directs him to the book.  She said she is more responsive and has learned to direct him to the book before he starts crying.  She reports it is working well and he seems to have more confidence.

--Point for the school: they are writing social stories for him without an IEP and doing some things I'd want written into an IEP, like he takes the book to a quiet corner of the classroom and gets time to decompress and gets a sensory break.

I was asked what I am doing at home to help him manage anxiety and ensure a healthy brain-body connection.  I mentioned he does gymnastics and it was suggested that I look into kids yoga or karate for him.

--Do they really think I am not doing enough for my child?  I am not sure when we would fit in another activity.  I started to feel defensive around this point.

We talked about his reading fluency and this kind of took me by surprise as I had not been told it was an issue though I had some suspicions.  His reading evaluation show he is ABOVE grade level in reading.  His fluency score are BELOW grade level despite this.  Then of course, the fluency was averaged in to the total score which brings it down (but still above grade level).  Because of this, they are "working on fluency by having him read below his tested ability."  They talked to me about having him use a ruler when he reads at home and said this is a maturity thing that he should outgrow around age 7.  I am not sure I believe that.

--I need to figure out who to see to test either his reading or his visual tracking or both.

--I am unsure about this idea that it isn't a big deal especially since it means he is not performing up to his abilities.

Then we discussed Liam's writing, and this was when things really went downhill and I started to feel very frustrated.  According to his teacher, writing is not an issue at school.  The fact that crying ONLY happens during periods of writing is a coincidence and all chalked up to his anxiety.  She claims his writing is "middle of the pack" at school but acknowledges that her class this year does not have many middle students, almost all above grade level or below grade level.  In addition, she acknowledges that he does not form his letters correctly (starts in the wrong place and the result is awkward). I asked for him to have accommodations and the only one completely agreed upon is using the paper from Handwriting Without Tears.

Once again, all the focus was on what *I* can do to help him.  They did agree to keyboarding his homework but declined allowing me to scribe it for him.  At school they would like him to write.  They asked how much I make him write and whether I offer a variety of writing tools (i.e. colored pencils and not just crayons, etc).  They ask whether I do "OT homework" with him and how often I make him write.  He gets on the bus at 6:50am and gets off at 3:15pm.  On Mondays, I pick him up at school and we spend 2 hours doing speech and OT with him and Ben after which we immediately do dinner and bed.  Tuesdays we do homework when he gets home, then eat an early dinner, then take Ben to ballet, and then it is bed.  Wednesdays we go right to gymnastics then do homework then cook dinner then bed.  Thursdays and Fridays he is free after he gets home (other than homework on Thursdays).  Somehow I am supposed to fit in karate and making him write an activity he hates.  When does he get to be 6?  Why do *I* need to remediate his writing?  Is that not a function of school?

Then the SLP asked about his speech.  She cannot work with him on the R sounds but it sounds like she has been watching him and would be willing to advocate for him, if needed.

Then they asked whether I was requesting testing and while they said it was in my right to do so, they did not see how they could prove academic need based on the fact he is at or above grade level.  By this point, I was just weary, and Liam kept interrupting the meeting and I just wanted it over.  The school psychologist asked if I really wanted him pulled out for special education when he is already being pulled out 3 times a week for AIG.  I want him to have an individualized education, which obviously includes 3x a week AIG pull out.  If he needs reading pull-out or special education pull out to meet his needs, then that is what I want.  I am pretty sure, actually positive, he can have an IEP with all his needs met in the classroom and if that is possible, then that is what I want.

--I need to research NC law especially regarding initial eligibility as he no longer has an IEP and needs testing done to be eligible.

--I need to figure out if there is advocacy and if someone can attend meetings with me.

5 comments:

Lourdes said...

How incredibly frustrating! I agree - if they have to pull him out, then pull him out. Better that it happens now in the earlier grades and it will be easier on him.

Kelly2 said...

1) they might be willing to accept UNC"s testing in lieu of re-testing him.
2) 7 is the magic number. Sit tight, things will change within the next year.
3) schools always try to put it on the parent. don't take it personally, they like to do that. Just keep re-iterating you are super mom and they will shut up.
4) His reading situation is Kate's. She reads above grade level but fluency is lower. This IS an issue. It is a huge issue in 2nd grade and it is why I am pushing and fighting for reading recovery. Fluency is the key to life. Push back with the multiply disabled-- see his neuropsych report and start fighting to get him more reading services next year. Can you plan on another neuropsych eval this summer? Just so it is more recent?
((hugs))

Mary Heinrich said...

Michelle, check into getting him evaluated by a developmental optometrist, in particular look for one who is covd certified. You can find one in your area through this site: http://www.covd.org/ Ben had intermittent convergent strabismus and tracking issues. He still reads MUCH better with a an EZ Reader (just like using a ruler) in that without it he sometimes skips lines or loses his place. He has made huge improvements since doing vision therapy. He has always been above grade level reading but it was physically hard for him to read, etc. He was tested with Woodcock Johnson II Achievement tests yesterday and he is at a 7th grade reading level (he's in 2nd grade). He sits up and reads at night now :) He's reading like crazy. He is still in vision therapy but we have taken "breaks." It has helped immensely. I hope this helps you! Oh, and the other thing we do is read on the PC via Kindle. Making font larger for him, etc was really helpful. He rpefered for quite awhile reading on the computer or Ipad because of that.

Mary Heinrich said...

Oh and the writing. I fought so hard last year for Ben's writing accommodations. I had to eventually hire a good educational law attorney. For some reasons, schools DO NOT LIKE to accommodate writing. They will not use the word "dysgraphia." My Ben has pretty severe dysgraphia. Plus, he has EDS, which affects his hands. I literally had a knock-down-drag-out BATTLE with them to get him his writing accommodations. I heard ALL of the same excuses you are hearing and then some. They actually accused me several times of "ENABLING HIS DISABILITY" (because, you know, a disability will disappear if we do not recognize or accommodate it... like a person who needs glasses. You know, if we don't "enable their poor eyesight" by giving them glasses then their eyesight will get better, right?!). But it was well worth it. Now at OT he gets typing instructions. He gets scribes and keyboard and/or IPAd in all of his classes. He is much happier and MUCH less anxious and depressed. :) Well worth the battle.

Allyson said...

I've read this blog post before, but just reread it. Logan was just placed in the PPCD (preschool program for children with disabilities) program and I'm starting to get frustrated with the entire public school system. Of course we work with our kids whenever we can and we do our BEST. When can we fit in more?! I feel you. It's nonstop from wake up until bedtime some days. Some days I just want to let Logan be a freaking 3 year old little boy! But then I feel guilty for not doing all of his OT at least 2x's day. Ugh.

Sorry-rant over. I just hate that we have to be on the defensive when it comes to our kids. We are doing everything we can!