Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Continued Aggression

In the continuing saga of last week's strep, there are some updates. 

The weekend was calm and I was hopeful that the antibiotics had killed off crazy behavior.  Sunday was the first time in over a week that the boys seemed like themselves.

Ben saw the ENT for an appointment scheduled after his last ear infection....since July he has had 4 ear infections and 2 bouts of strep throat.  The ENT recommended another set of ear tubes and a tonsillectomy.....This will be Ben's 3rd surgery, the 4th ENT surgery between the two boys, and the 5th surgery I have managed as a mother in a little over 3 years.

Then all hell broke loose yesterday afternoon at gymnastics when Liam was asked to sit up while waiting his turn (he was laying down).  He said no and was asked to sit out a moment and then he HIT his gymnastics coach.  His coach brought him to me, and I was trying to calm him down......Not realizing that class was almost over.  Suddenly, we were surrounded by people and Liam from being angry to a full blown sensory meltdown.

He began to hit me and was grabbing my necklace.  I was trying to wait until everyone left so I'd have more space to move him out.  He realized Ben left his socks on the floor and became upset about that.  He overheard friends were going for doughnuts and became furious with me for saying we could not go.  Ben actually cooperated and found his socks.  I held Liam while pinning his arms to stopp him from hitting or choking me while I put on Ben's socks and shoes.  I left Liam's shoes off as I saw no way to put them on.  Then I carried 50 pounds of flailing, kicking, hitting my face Liam and my diaper bag while holding onto to Ben's hand.....how?  I don't know but I managed. 

Once in his 5 point harness, Liam began to throw anything in the car he could reach and kept grabbing Ben's hand.  I was terrified he'd break Ben's fingers. 

The meltdown lasted about 20 minutes though it felt significantly longer.  It ended as suddenly as it started.

That is the worst meltdown he has had in about a year, since this: http://routhierfam.blogspot.com/2012_01_01_archive.html  But the aggression is so unlike Liam.

So is it autism or is it PANDAS?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear you had such a rough afternoon. xx did anyone offer to help?

Michelle said...

I didn't ask for help as Liam and Ben's friends seemed worried about Liam and were trying to interact with him and knew that would not help. I did get lots of smiles and everyone made sure to tell me and en goodbye, and I did not feel at all embarrassed.

In fact I got a sweet message from a friend who was there: "wanted to say what an extraordinary mother you are to your two beautiful boys and if I could be half the mother you are with all of your patience and strength I would be a very happy woman."

fairymom aka Victorymama aka Rachel said...

When Owen was around 5ish his meltdowns turned more violent, more intentional. Instead of just lashing out in a general way, he'd turn his emotions towards who he saw as his problem. I was more on guard from then on, feeling I needed to protect everyone. I dread phone calls, while he was at school. Believing each one may be the school calling saying he lashed out at a teacher, or another student. This behavior lasted about 2.5 years, until he attended a school that knew what to do and knew the difference between a tantrum and a meltdown. We had some regression when we moved here and was attending a mainstream school (with their own control issues ) . But it did get better. Since last summer he hasn't been aggressive towards others, during meltdowns. Yes we still have issues with self control, and hitting others in retaliation but I feel that's due to his poor impluse control.

I didn't have the experience, or help of an ot so kind of had to muddle through finding what worked for him. Since not allowing him to hurt others was my first priority, I often restrained him in a hug, rocking him until he calmed. The tightness of the hug seemed to help. I did this while out in public. At home we would wrap him up in a blanket and hug. Sometimes I just needed to keep others away and let him ride it out.

Your post reminds me how far we've come. And with you as his mama Liam, and Ben, will too.

Michelle said...

Rachel, thank you for giving me hope. <3

fairymom aka Victorymama aka Rachel said...

You know what would be really cool, and tremendously helpful, a developmental book. Much like those that are out there for NT Children. But for those on the spectrum. Yes I realize each child on the spectrum can be so different from the next, but so can Nt kids. But I'm sure there are developmental stages that are similar. Like potty learning and aggressive stages. "What to Expect on the Spectrum".