Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year, New Start

I found this post this morning from a year ago, the start of 2012.  It was interesting to read back on it. Some things I got wrong: Ben is not daytime trained and has never once peed on a potty.  Travel is not easier as evidenced by Liam staying awake for 48 hours straight during our move from Alaska, despite being given 4mg of melatonin.  Other things I got right..... I DID come to acceptance of our therapy schedule and life and I did start exercising.  I am proud of me.
Here is the year old post:
_________________________________________________________________

I went back to re-read my summary of the year 2010.  Thankfully, my summary of 2011 is much more positive, and thank goodness 2009 and 2010 were tough years, and I needed a break.

2011 was the start of a new chapter for our family.  Liam changed so very much over the last year and is now such a talkative, social little guy that it is hard to remember where we were at 2 years ago.  Liam finally became daytime potty trained.  He has finally started to answer questions and after the age of 4 F-I-N-A-L-L-Y started to ask questions!  Ben stopped nursing this summer and seems to have mostly stopped spitting up, and he was weaned off reflux medicine.  It wasn't all roses as Ben has been given several diagnoses this year: Sensory Processing Disorder, Mixed Receptive-Expressive Language Disorder, and Early Childhood Developmental Delay, but having travelled the special needs/special education path once, I feel more peace the 2nd time around.  As for me, I met many of my goals for 2011, and have spent the year enjoying my boys, reading, hiking (though not as often as I hoped), and trying to find happiness in everyday moments.

2012 will bring more change....another move for us....it will be Liam's 4th house and Ben's 3rd.  It will be Dave's 5th assigment (6 if you count the deployment) since Liam was born.  Ben will start preschool and our years of raising a baby will be over for good.  This is the year I say goodbye to all things baby related.  Liam might or might not (I keep changing my mind) start Kindergarten in the fall.  We are at the cusp of entering the stage of childhood where we can more easily travel and our boys are independent enough to participate in activities.  Hopefully at some point this year we will finally have two children that can talk. We should have two daytime trained boys at the end of this year.  I would like for me to gain an acceptance of our therapy schedule (for Liam--speech 2 days a week, OT 3 days a week, ABA 2 days a week, special education 5 days a week; for Ben--Early Intervention-1 day a week, speech--1 day a week, OT--1 day a week, Social Skills group--1 day a week, and Floortime 1 day every 2 weeks).  I hate the non-stop going but both boys have made so much progress that I need to accept it as something that is needed at the moment.  When Ben starts school, I want to start an exercise schedule.  I have tried to exercise regularly over the last year but fail at it as I seem to have no free time (see schedule above).
____________________________________________________________________

2013 will bring yet another move.  For 2013, I am again hoping for two daytime trained boys and an end to diapers.  I'd like to keep going with the exercise routine I started.  I'd like the boys to have re-evaluations by a developmental pediatrician and school evaluations for IEPs.  Maybe I can even start thinking about what type of part-time work I can do.

2 comments:

Kelly2 said...

I think those are great goals for 2013. They are very specific! I think I need to make mine a bit more specific..

Allyson said...

I am so hopeful for your 2013! I am in absolute awe of your scheduling of all of the therapies. I'm struggling to just figure out one kiddo! I know I don't comment often, but I enjoy reading your blog and your frankness and honest attitude. It's inspiring and refreshing.