Friday, August 17, 2012

Not sure where to go from here

I have lived here before, so I thought I knew the landscape, but things change in 2 years.

I knew that by placing Liam at a private school, we'd lose his IEP.  I battled with anxiety over that for months.  He has started school (will be a seperate post) and I now am confident that was the best choice.  I am still on the fence about initiating a transfer of Ben's IEP as I expect he will lose it after they re-evaluate him, especially since his only diagnosis is vague.

I did not expect getting private services to be so difficult.  We planned to use Liam's BCBA we used in 2010.  She is not responding to my attempts at contact and when I called Liam's ECHO case manager, she could not find her name.  I got a list of other BCBAs, but it doesn't look hopeful for ABA to work out.  I can get services from 4-6pm or I can drive to Auburn.  Honestly, I am not sure how I feel about either choice.  I can be judgemental and have high expectations and the services offered here in Montgomery did not meet my expectations.  Auburn seems promising but that is a way to drive with two small kids....and the place would be starting therapy at 3pm.  I actually planned to phase out ABA next year as I am not sure it fits Liam's needs anymore.  I am okay with giving it up this year, but I want to make sure he doesn't regress.

Speech services are non-existent here.  The base doctors are referring to only one place and they have a 1 year wait list.  We leave in a year.  I called the place where Liam did private speech last year.  They have a waiting list but it was small and I was really impressed with their new director of services.  I called Tricare to change Liam's referral but was told that center is considered "out of network."  I remember it was when I lived here last, but the Tricare person changed it for me.  This time the Tricare person was quite snotty and said she didn't care if the place he was referred had a 1 year wait list.  I would need to take Liam back to his PCM and the PCM would have to write a justifcation which the snotty Tricare lady said could then be denied.

I cannot have Liam have no IEP, no speech, and no ABA.

I am having trouble figuring out where to go from here though.

He will start hippotherapy in September and he is on a waiting list for OT.  I have looked into social skills groups and the nearest one is Birmingham and would cost $40 a session out of pocket.

Did I mention that I am having trouble functioning due to nearly crippling depression and anxiety and utter hatred of the heat?  No one from base will call me back and there are NO appointments for me to be seen.

1 comment:

Holly said...

I'm so sorry you're having a hard time. I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through trying to get things for your boys but the depression of moving and the heat is a very familiar feeling to me. Hang in there. You're one of the most amazing women and best moms I have ever met.