Sunday, May 6, 2012

Twice exceptional



2e is the short-hand for twice exceptional, which means a child who has a diagnosis (Asperger's, PDD-NOS, ADHD, etc) and is also gifted.  They are called twice exceptional because they often need IEPs addressing both delayed areas AND areas where they are ahead.  Twice exceptional is long to write out, so the short hand is 2e.

When I heard that Liam is highly gifted, I did not feel excited.  Intellectually, I recognize all the promise that brings.  I understand that Liam will have opportunities that others won't.  As far as special needs go, we have "won the lottery" so to speak as teaching Liam how to fit in/blend is easier than it is for other families.  Do not misunterstand my feelings to mean that I wished he weren't gifted.  A part of me is so excited and proud and feels vindicated because I honestly always knew he was brilliant.  Knowing he is gifted allows me to view his behavior not as an obsessive symptom of autism but as intellectual persistence.  He can be viewed as socially awkward because he is so bright that his brain works differently rather than socially delayed due to autism.

I have still had a mourning period about this newest bit of information, not unlike the mourning I did when I learned of his diagnosis of PDD-NOS.  Reading the report from  the psychologist reminded me that I am not crazy.  Being highly/provoundly gifted bring with it a set of challenges that overlap with challenges experienced by people with autism.  Profoundly gifted is a Full Scale IQ above 145 and Liam's is 144.....his non-verbal IQ is proundly gifted and his verbal IQ is simpley gifted, which leaves his full scale on the line between highly and profoundly gifted.  The more standard deviations from the "norm" a child, the more social and emotional problems they are prone to.  With Liam 4 standard deviations above the norm, you get an idea of the differences between him and most children.  One of the challenges cited time and again about highly gifted children is their extreme energy level and their decreased need for sleep, as well as asynchronious development and being highly sensitive.  If you read that right, those are also some of the challenges about raising a child on the autism spectrum.

All of this also highlighted the idea that Liam will ne an IEP through school.  School will not be as easy as just registering him, at least not until high school when he can take more advanced classes.  Researching the 2e community shows that many parents resort to homeschooling out of frustration and due to lack of options.  They might be able to secure gifted services, but not services for developmental delays.....or it might be the opposite.  Many are reluctant homeschoolers, and all of these problems are made worse when you add in military moves.

I was already struggling with what to do with Liam next year, and finding out this information made things more confusing.  The only thing it clarified for me is that holding him back a year will not help. 


3 comments:

Kelly said...

I think that all any mother wants is for her child not to have to struggle in life. Regardless of where the struggle comes from-- being socially awkward because he's gifted, being speech delayed, being exceptionally shy. No matter what you call it, it all means that our children will struggle with some aspect or another of growing up. I agree that there is a mourning period, but I know you will be the awesome Mom that you are and find the best way for Liam to make this work for him.

Michelle said...

Kelly, exactly! I hate to know that he will struggle, and selfishly, I just wish he were an easier child to parent. I felt much better after reading the e-mail from Liam's teacher as she clearly immediately knew the positives and the negatives of the report.

x said...

I always think that it's a good thing to have more information and when it comes to Liam, you have a lot of information, but that better prepares you and his school to help him. The fact that know there is a gap between his intelligence and his emotional and social development will probably change how you approach problems and you will be able to help him more efficiently. I know you'll do a great job for him and you guys as a family.