On Tuesday, Ben had his last day of both speech and of his special education play group. Ben's teacher had a little graduation ceremony and nothing is cuter than a just turned 3 year old wearing a construction paper graduation cap.
Ben's IEP quarterly progress report shows he MET every single social goal. I was floored. I am used to Liam's progress inching along with regressions. Socially, Ben is just exploding. We also had our last day of his Early Intervention social skills group today, and one of the more aggressive children was in Ben's personal space. Ben kept cowering and hiding behind me. After class he told me, "my necklace" (the little girl had grabbed his necklace) followed by "Ben sad." He can even identify emotions. Things like this just seem unbelievable to me. It helps me let go of my worries about Ben, and let's me know that the kind of developmental delays he faces are much easier addressed than Liam.
On his IEP progress report, he still has alot of work to do on his speech goals. His articulation still needs alot of work, and his senetence length is not what you'd expect of a 3 year old. He can answer questions (almost better than Liam) except for "why" questions, he was at 0% for those. Overall, since he started school based speech therapy, he has made amazing progress. I worry about him having a break in therapy this summer, and I know he'll need private speech therapy as soon as we arrive in Montgomery.
Ben had his OT re-evaluation a couple weeks ago. His private OT noted that his muscle tone and strength were low average. He was given the Peabody Developmental Motor Scales, and his "greasping" score is that of a 20 month old (tested at 37 months). Out of curiosity, I looked at Liam's OT evaluation done at nearly the same age (Liam was 38 months and Ben was 37 months....both were evaluated at the same therapy center here in Alaska, but by different OTs). Liam's fine motor quaotient was tested as in normal limits at that point. Interesting, since he is quite delayed now. In any case, Ben's "grasping" score was low but it was evened out by his high score in visual motor integration. In self-care skills, Ben tests as delayed. He cannot remove a single item of clothing, not even socks or shoes. This is a huge OT concern at the moment, as he needs to learn how to undress before he can learn how to dress.
As always with OT stuff, the sensory profile is where Ben really showed his OT needs. His auditory system showed a definite difference and his OT noted "Ben has difficulty functioning in a crowded, noisy room often requiring to be touched before he will respond to his name or follow a direction." Ben shows a definite difference in vesitibular processing and his OT notes that while he recently has begun to explore the swings, he "frequently demonstrates fear and takes a rigid posture when his feet leave the ground."
Overall, I am finding myself awed by the progress Ben has made. I worry about him less and less. It has helped as I forsee him losing his IEP after the move, but I think he will do fine with a good preschool setting and private OT and speech.
Thursday, May 17, 2012
Ben's "graduation" and IEP progress report/ OT re-evaluation
Labels:
Ben,
IEP,
OT,
progress,
Sensory Processing Disorder,
special education
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment