Saturday, July 9, 2011

Bear Paw Festival

The best festivals are in small towns, seriously.  When we lived in England, our tiny village of Barton Mills (population estimated to be about 800) has a giant scarecrow festival and in 1999 was in the Guiness Book of World Records for the most scarecrows built! So, when I heard that Eagle River has a festival called Bear Paw, I was excited.  When I heard Dave would b ein Australia, my interest was less as I feared wrestling both boys in a crowded environment.

My MOM's Club had a tent on Friday for the Annual Teddy Bear's Picnic.  I was able to get a sitter so i left Ben with her to nap and took Liam to the Teddy Bear's Picnic.  It was crowded and there was a long line for food.  Liam was immediately worked up and talking loudly and asking to find where the teddy bear's were having a picnic.  He refused to wait in line for the free food being given out.  He refused to register his teddy bear (which he brought) or visit any of the booths.  A teddy bear dance started and Liam started tugging on his ear furiously and then yelled he had to use the potty. After the port-a-potty trip, he refused to go near the crowd of kids dancing with theirbear or the ones lining up for the parade.

So off to the rides we went.  I thought the carnival rides would over-stimulate Liam more but he started demanding to go on everything.  I bought a $20 value pack of tickets and immediately worried it would be a mistake.  I also realized why my Dad complained when I begged for tickets at the boarwalk...rides are expensive....between $3-5 a ride per person!  I found a ride that friends were riding and had Liam go in.  I expected that he'd cry to get off.  Instead, he waited like this to be buckled in:



He ran from ride to ride demanding to get on.  I bought a second value pack.  He even wanted to go on bigger rides that he couldn't manage on his own (I tried to keep him on the kiddie rides).  Heiked the bumper cars and loved the swing.  The swing made me nervous but he just giggled more and told me he loved it.  Here he is on the swing with me:


He rode a pony and thanked the pony for letting him ride:


Today we headed back to Bear Paw so that all 3 of us could watch the parade.  Getting to our parade location was a test of my patience.  Liam kept asking when the parade was going to start, cry9ing because it hadn't started, and refusing to walk because he was afraid I was taking him away from it.  Ben cried anytime we stopped as he wanted to keep walking.  Thankfully, we found Liam's friend from school, and stood near him.  I talked to his mom while Liam played with him and his brothers.  I found snacks and Ben miraculously seemed calm.  Liam loved the parade and Ben mostly ignored it.  He did give me this smile:



After the parade, I went searching for food and my luck ran out.  It was crowded and Liam became really overstimulated.  Ben refused to nap when we got home as I missed his sleepy window.

I cannot wait to try Bear Paw next year when I (hopefully) have Dave home to help and Ben is big enough to ride the rides (he didn't meet any of the height miniumums).




No comments: