We are in Alaska! It has been quite a journey, but we are loving the scenery and the weather.
We spent the last 3 weeks in a blur of moving and navigating the IEP system in TWO states. IEPs need to be written BEFORE a student turns 3 years old. We were due to leave Alabama 6 days after Liam turned 3. Alabama didn't want to write the IEP since it wouldn't be implemented, but Alaska wanted it written so Liam could get services ASAP.
Then Alabama school system didn't have computer access (eye roll) and didn't want to hand write it. In the end,they finished it a couple days before Liam turned 3, and it was hand written. I thought we had a decent IEP....for what Montgomery could offer. They assessed Liam as operating at the level of a 23 month old in 2 areas: social-emotional and adaptive skills (need I mention Ben is 17 months, so they are almost like twins with a 11 pound weight difference?) and his language at the level of a 2.5 year old. For a 34% delay in 2 areas and a 25% delay in a 3rd, they offered 1 hour a week at his private preschool.
I knew Alaska had more services, but when they got his IEP, they offered the same services. The problem? Private preschools in Alaska don't take non-potty trained children......and Ben is closer to potty training then Liam. I freaked out, and it was about 48 hours until we moved. Eventually, I asked Alaska to re-look at his IEP....they had simply looked at what Alabama offered (assuming it was adequate,which it wasn't) rather than Liam's eligibility scores. In the end, Liam was offered a special education slot at the local elementary school.
We enrolled him Tuesday, and he started today. His school meets 5 days a week from 9-11am. There are 5 kids and 2 teachers. The room has an elevated reading cave, a dramatic arts area, a huge slide, sensory areas, and lots of space. The other children are all older than Liam and some only have language delays. It will be a great fit for him I think.

4 comments:
So glad you "made it" in more ways than one! It looks beautiful there! I hope the cool mountain air brings you renewed strength! You are a hard working amazing Mommy!
I so glad they took a second look. That school sounds amazing. I want a reading cave!!!!!
So glad you made it safely and that the school is doing good by Liam.
Alaska looks gorgeous. I hope you will post more about the scenery and your adventures so far!
Alaska sounds amazing! I really hope that it will be a great fit for the entire family. It really seems like things are going in a better direction than they have for a long time!
Post a Comment