Thursday, September 5, 2013

William's teacher thinks he needs an IEP


Yesterday I got a call from Liam's teacher.  As luck would have it, I got the call while being interviewed by a psychologist in an observation room watching Ben be evaluated for autism.  As soon as the phone rang, I told her "I think this is a call from my older son's teacher and I need to take it."

Getting a phone call saying your son needs an IEP while your other son is being evaluated for autism is not a pleasant experience.  I could feel tears welling in my eyes but I was in a room with several social works, SLPs, and a psychologist.

Obviously, I suspected Liam needs an IEP, but I wanted it before anything happened to make him feel like he failed.

I did not get that lucky.  Liam forgot to bring home his folder on Thursday.  He is supposed to turn his homework in on Friday, and I usually stick it inside his folder.  With no folder, it went in his bookbag.  He came home Friday with his folder.....and his homework not turned in.  I spoke with him about it.

I did not contact the teacher but should have and am beating myself up about it now.

Monday was a holiday so he went back to school Tuesday.  He came home with his folder and his homework still not turned in.  I asked him why and he just shrugged.  At this point, I emailed the teacher.  She has never given her e-mail but the school website has a contact option so I used that.

So Wednesday while I was with Ben at UNC, she called me. She asked me to explain what was going on with Liam's homework.  Then she told that they remind them 5 or 6 times to get their folder.  It is their responsibility.  This was when I thought I was going to cry.  Instead I reminded her that at the meeting in May, I explained he had this issue in Kindergarten and was one of my concerns and one of the things I wanted an IEP for.

I asked her if she thought he needs an IEP and she said "yes" and then mentioned he is doing fine socially and behaviorally, but he does cry in class sometimes, there is the issue with the folder, and sees "some other things" that make her think an IEP is in his best interest.

Next week we have a conference with her when we'll get his quarter 1 report card.  She said there will not be time for IEP paperwork at that point.  And then there is a 3 week fall break. 

I am glad she is on board and will advocate for Liam, but my heart hurts for him.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Michelle, Hugs and more hugs! It WILL be okay - I promise. You know I do know how you feel. BUT I have to say I was like "Yay!" when reading about Liam getting an IEP. I know how you feel right now but it will not be long until you actually really like (maybe even love) the IEP! I do love that my Ben has one... It is hard to explain but you'll see. I pretty much wrote my Ben's entire IEP myself (with help from some BTDT friends), but it is pretty darn awesome so, if you need any help with brainstorming what accommodations to include, let me know. Even though my Ben's school is "really good" - they would have definitely gone very weak on the iep accommodations had I let them; so, your school may be different but, while I can work with my school - I really can't trust that they will automatically know or include the most effective accommodations. We're having a good year over here so far! Btw, got my Ben re-evaluated too and his scored well into the gifted range (this is a private blog right?) and was formally diagnosed with Developmental Coordination Disorder affecting fine motor and handwriting (aka dysgraphia). So, now I assume he should get a GIEP for the giftedness (he's two full grade levels ahead in math now) and we will continue with his IEP accommodations for Ehler Danlos and dysgraphia/DCD. We'll see. Hang in there... The IEP is a good thing I promise!

~Mary :)