Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Issues du jour

Issue 1: Ben is finally interested in talking to share ideas, at least in very small settings and with people he knows well.  GREAT!

Did I just say great?  Let's change that to a great big headache.

Liam likes to talk, a lot.  If you let him, he will talk while walking in circles non-stop for hours.  I drove to Atlanta with him this weekend and on the way there, he talked the entire 3 hours with only occasional "hmmms" of agreement from me.

Now, Ben is also trying to talk.  This has resulted in a lot of tears from both boys and accusations that the other isn't letting him talk.  Have you heard about how Asperger's monologue?  Have you ever wondered what happens when you get two together and they both try to monologue?  I can tell you it isn't pretty. By the end of the day, I don't want anyone talking to me.  Today it resulted in a meltdown before school.

Issue 2: Ben is waking at night crying and saying his throat hurts.  It started with his last ear infection.  Does he have strep throat or still infected ears or is his reflux back to waking him up at night?

Issue 3:  The boys have finally watched their first movie all the way through, actually 3 movies. Both of them are into Star Wars.  There have been obsessions before but they have been Liam's alone.  Now they are both obsessed.  They want the Playskool figurines but they are hard to find.  What we have is fought over, hoarded, hiddenw ith the secret place forgotten, and I seem to live and breathe Star Wars between movie quotes, managing fights over figurines, and listening to Liam's ideas for episodes 7 throuh 136.

2 comments:

fairymom aka Victorymama aka Rachel said...

I know these issues all to well. Owen's monologues, two fighting over Star Wars, light saber battles. Have they discovered there's Star Wars Legos yet? Caleb is getting a fresh supply of playskool star wars figures for his bday. Lol

Kelly2 said...

I'm sorry about the dual monologueing. That must be very difficult to handle. Kate doesn't monologue but I think I've mentioned before how it sometimes takes her a very long time to get her detailed thoughts out and Emily loses her shit over it sometimes.

Did you say what antibiotic Ben is on? If it's amoxicillin, I would have him re-checked. The more I research, the more aggravated I get. The consensus is a lot of EIs are viral and Amoxicillin is being used to "pacify" parents, while the EIs are healing on their own, due to their viral nature, while the children are being exposed to antibiotic use after use and eventually developing resistance and the amoxicillin is not effective when it needs to be.