Friday, June 15, 2012

Big boy bed, take 2....and car seat news

With all of our sleep problems, I let my boys stay in cribs as long as possible.  Liam slept in a crib until right before he turned 3, and then spent a month plus sleeping in a pack-n-play as we moved from Alabama to Alaska.  He moved into a big boy bed at 37 months and the transition was so smooth.  He even stayed in his bed every morning until I got him for about 8 months.  We don't have that issue any longer. ;-)

We had movers this week as it takes so long for stuff to move between Alaska and Alabama.  Then we got loaner furniture from base (something that is available at OCONUS bases).  I suggested we leave Ben's crib here in Alaska as it now has duct tape on one leg and needs to be thrown out.  We got Ben a single bed and put Liam's old rails up. 

When asked which bed, he wanted to sleep in, he pointed to the bed and said "that one."  At 38 months, he had no problems with this transition:



I think Ben looks so much like Liam here.  Ben is 38 months now, and here was Liam in his bed at 37 months:


Liam saw Ben's photo and even thought it was him......LOL!

In other news, I turned Ben forward facing at 37 months as he is now 34 pounds, and I didn't want to be stuck with the wrong carseat during the move if he went over to 35 pounds.  I am proud that Liam was rear-facing for 34 months and Ben was rear-facing for 37, nearly 38 months.  Liam meets the minimum criteria for a booster seat, but he will be 5 point harnessed for awhile yet.  I don't expect removing his 5 point harness (both seats we have convert from 5 point narnesses to high back booster) until he is 6 years old.

I am hoping we can trash the crib this weekend.  I have ZERO angst about leaving the baby stage behind.  I am loving the boys being able to talk and follow directions.  The baby stage with both boys was full of so many challenges and so little sleep that I don't miss those days at all.

Did I just say I am happy in THIS moment?  I did, and it feels good to be here.


3 comments:

Sherry said...

I'm so glad that you are able to enjoy this moment. I know this summer will be difficult with all the transitions, but you always handle everything with such grace!

I get a bit misty about leaving behind the snuggly baby stage. But I will NOT miss lots of things about it ... sleeping issues, diapers, lack of communication, etc.

Sherry

Kelly2 said...

I am happy you are in such a good place! We are beginning to think Emily needs a bed so I am encouraged to hear how well Ben has done! Keep being happy! I love "seeing" you this way.

Holly said...

There is no one I can think of that deserves to be happy about the place they are currently in than you. <3 you!