Friday, January 27, 2012

I might need to shout mercy




It has been quiet on this blog, but we have been busy.  The cycle of ABA, OT, ST, play therapy, and preschool runs continue generally keeping me on the rum 9-5 five days a week.  In addition to that, I have been IEP writing, appointment scheduling, and researching school options....and making myself quite anxious about life in general.

That isn't why I need to call mercy though.  See, I foolishly dared Alaska to give me her toughest winter either since I'd be losing out on a winter (as we'll only be here 2 years instead of 3).  I might need to take back that dare.

In an average winter, Alaska receives 70 inches of snowfall (usually between October and April).  In 2.5 months, we got 90 inches......90 inches!!!!!!!!  The record is 132 inches, but if we keep pace, we'll get 180 inches.  We have only gotten 2-3 inches over the last two weeks, so that threat is seeming less likely.  In addition, the average temperature in January is 13.  This January (as of the 27th), we have had TWENTY days below 0.  TWENTY!!!!!!!  And that official temperature is taken at the aiport, which is about 10-15 degrees warmer than good old Eagle River.

So, I sit here with my Peppermint Tea, soaking up a very rare spot of sunlight, and I am thinking Alaska might have won this round.  My white flag isn't going up yet, but it isn't far off.

1 comment:

Kelly2 said...

That is alot of snow. I understand the rest of the US is having a warmer than usual winter? Poor you! Well, I guess you will have "fond" memories of your final Alaskan winter when you get to Alabama this summer and it's hot as heck!!